Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iOS App for WebRIVA - CTC CQC
If by the other one do you mean the originl RIVA based CQC iOS app?

I have been using this one for the week now just testing with it on my phone and it has actually been really good. Connects fast, gives me full screen and I can toggle the nocache option etc so quickly when I'm testing the updates.

The old app is still in use on my iPad 2 (iOS 9.x) and its fine as well. Can't run this newer one on it as its only iOS 10.3 and upwards.

The only thing I would say is that colours are better on the old one. Shading, edges etc (as mentioned previously) are not as good when using WebRIVA but care design will eliminate that. You also need to really use overlays when using WebRIVA as page transitions are not a nice. - that's all separate to the app though.

This is the app that CQC should have "owned" with the release of WebRIVA IMO.

Potentially is there a way to signal to CQC from the web browser that you have rotated the screen from landscape to portrait and back so you can switch interfaces?
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I assume there is an orientation notification. When running inside this application, it may have be to responsible for passing it on, since it's now the top level application, not a web browser. But that would have to be investigated.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Can a web browser currently pas the orientation back to the server?

This was one of the questions asked during design and I was not aware of any way to do it with WebRIVA but I never asked, just assumed.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
That would have to be done, yes. The browser wouldn't but the WebRIVA client could, as long as he knows it happened. I was just wondering if, if it's embedded in an application, if actually would know. It may be the actual browser application that finds out and passes it to any tabs. Ultimately, there would have to be some sort of OnOrientChange or something.
Dean Roddey
(02-11-2018, 02:14 AM)znelbok Wrote: Can a web browser currently pas the orientation back to the server?

This was one of the questions asked during design and I was not aware of any way to do it with WebRIVA but I never asked, just assumed.

Hi Guys I wrote the CTC CQC app, the app is a modification of an app I wrote for Clipsal SHAC/NAC. With this device the landscape or portrait view are handles via different URLs.

I had no knowledge of CQC before writing the App, but from what I had to learn to write the app, I believe a different "Page" can be assigned per user. So I could write it so that when the phone/ipad is in landscape it logs in with one user id and password, and when it is in portrait it logs in with another id and password:

eg in setting:

landscape user :
landscape password :
portrait user :
portrait password :

This way when the orientation is changed the device logs as a different user and therefore gets a different page displayed.
That would work.
Dean Roddey
A kludge though. That would mean every user that wants to use both portrait and landscape would need to have two usernames.

Also means that when you rotate you go back to the home page defined by the user. Can become frustrating if you happen to rotate the device a little and trigger the rotation and you are taken away from your page.

I think a better way could be found - but what do I know, I don't write this stuff
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Well, no matter what you would have to have two of something, right? I thought the point of this was to have two different templates each of which is optimized for the aspect ratio. Just flipping the current one wouldn't really work since it wouldn't fit anymore.

We could of course provide a separate option in the user account for a 'landscape template' or something. But this would be a fairly straightforward of trying the overall concept out and seeing if it works well for folks. If so, then we could provide something more formal.

But the formal version has the problem of requiring some sort of connection between his application and the web page running in it. That's not a necessarily straightforward thing to do I'm guessing. If we did provide a separate URL as part of configuration, he wouldn't have any way to know what it is. Only we would know it. But still, he'd have to find some way to tell us the orientation changed.

I may just sense that when it happens, regardless of the containing application, or maybe not. We'd have to see. I can when running in the browser itself. Not sure when it's embedded.
Dean Roddey
You miss the point about two. yes two templates will be needed, one for landscape and one for portrait. but you will also need two accounts (for every user). And as I indicated, say I am at a page for my lights and i rotate the screen. The url with the new username is passed in and the screen changes back to the default page for the user and you then have to navigate back to the light page - that would become frustrating. OK if you are starting in one orientation and staying there.

So unless we can stay on the page and or pass something back to the web server i don't think it is really that user friendly.

Add another option to the user account, landscape template and portrait template (or primary and secondary or whatever). Change the chrome so its says WebRIVA and make it plainly obvious that its for this feature.

Does the web server know what template the user is looking at or is it blind to what is happening?
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
No matter what, you are going to go back to the main screen. There's no way we can flip to a new template and somehow know that the first one had these templates loaded into these overlays and that those templates correspond to these other over here in another scope templates and those overlays correspond to these other overlays on this new template. Or worse, that you had a popup up that was taking input from the user, and how to take that current input and get it into a another popup. That's not really practical that we could change templates and somehow recreate the same conditions.

If you want to stay on the same screen, you'd have to keep the same template and it would have to adjust its contents on the fly to a different aspect ratio. That would require a completely different approach to how screen layout works, i.e. something more like CSS. And be careful what you wish for, because then creating templates would be just as horrible as creating CSS based layouts.

If you want something like that, you'd have to use Websockets to create your own custom HTML based client.
Dean Roddey