Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WebRiva iPhone X
The benefit that pops out immediately to me is geo location for presence.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
(01-23-2018, 10:04 AM)jkmonroe Wrote: I'm going to come to Dean's defense here since literally no one here is buying $1000 iPhone X's to hang around the house.  So for a portable interface viewer that you open infrequently on your phone, or hell even frequently, losing the status bar for a few minutes isn't a deal breaker.  And the iPad isn't affected the way the X is, so it can work exactly as a dedicated viewer.  WebRIVA offers the widest compatibility for all products with a browser, and this level of nitpicking detracts from the work done.

Wrapping WebRIVA in some app framework sounds great, but what is the real benefit; the actual, tangible benefit that I am missing using just WebRIVA?

I have the source code for the original iOS app if anyone wants to see if they can alter it to be a wrapper.  Just let me know.

I didn't say anything about hanging iPhone X's around the house...and I guess I'm using it wrong as I control my house/CQC only using my phone/ipad.  I use the old app all the time  Blush

But you're right...having the status bar hide and the layouts not rendering right is not that big of a deal as it's just my family that will use it.  I just figured that since it doesn't work correctly on the X that it would be worth figuring out why since it's probably pretty likely Apple isn't going to move away from that design for several years.  Hopefully the pro installers won't run across any nitpicky iPhone X users  Big Grin
We can provide geo-location in WebRIVA as is. I have it on the list to look at. CQC already has support for it. The client just needs to send the server periodic reports as to location. CQC will calculate the distance and you can access that in actions. There is a (supposedly well supported now) geo-location API in Javascript that can be used.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
The loss of the bar may just be that, unlike other phones, the X is actually allowing full screen mode whereas others don't allow that. If you need to use both kinds, the trick would be to make the content fit the area under the bar, and just let the content be centered in the case where the bar is allowed to be covered and it actually goes full screen.

Just set the viewer background color to something matches your template's background color so that it still looks nice if the content isn't filling the screen vertically in that case.

I think that's something that should just be assumed might happen on any given phone and be prepared for it, i.e. just accept that in some cases your content won't fill the whole screen. Either that, or maybe create a separate base template and different CQC accounts to use for those that do show it vs. those that allow it to be covered over. Have the larger base template provide its own top bar to make up the difference.

It might take a while to work out the exactly pixel sizes and scaling things, but once worked out I can document them for subsequent use. I can provide a 'metered template' in subsequent drops that has pixel measurements on it at regular intervals to help figure things out.

Another option might be for me to just ship a simple HTML/javascript program that you can load on your phone, provide an option to change the scaling and size you find what you want, and it shows the current size of the content and the scaling factors. Then you know what you need. We could also of course change the noscale=yes to scale=x:y to allow you to ask for x and y scaling of x:1 and y:1. Or maybe xscope=x and yscale=y, either way.
Dean Roddey
(01-23-2018, 11:41 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: We can provide geo-location in WebRIVA as is. I have it on the list to look at. CQC already has support for it. The client just needs to send the server periodic reports as to location. CQC will calculate the distance and you can access that in actions. There is a (supposedly well supported now) geo-location API in Javascript that can be used.

Cool
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
(01-23-2018, 09:31 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: But that's the same as third party, but worse because it's expensive and we get blamed if it doesn't work despite the fact that we didn't write it. And it wouldn't keep up with changes unless we continued to pay someone to do the work.

I really don't want to go there.

No its totally not the same.  You own the IP , you own the product and you get the blame when it does not work.  The fact you didn't write it does not mean you didn't define how it is to work and commission it.  You are just using someone else knowledge of the tools to efficiently and cost effectively create the product.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. All we could do is say, this is what we need. That doesn't remotely mean that the person we hire is going to write a flawless, error free program. If it has errors, we are in no better position to diagnose those errors than we would have been to write it in the first place, so we are totally dependent on this third party. Unless we hire them permanently, they aren't going to be available at moment's notice to deal with issues.

Why did we do all that work to get control of the non-Windows clients just to turn around and go right back to to the same place again? You all know how it was when we depended on others for this stuff.
Dean Roddey
I just want to make sure that everyone sees this.  There is an iOS app now available for WebRIVA.  I takes care of all the switches used in the url, allows for the status bar at the top to be removed to get real full screen and supports LAN and WAN connections

See this thread for details
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best Resolutions for iOS using WebRIVA znelbok 3 187 01-23-2018, 09:34 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  WebRIVA, domains, Security Certs IVB 38 816 01-13-2018, 04:03 PM
Last Post: jkmonroe
  webriva template question lleo 21 978 01-08-2018, 08:53 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  WebRIVA - Raspberry PI - View Only batwater 2 1,346 09-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Scrolling on iPhone Stipe 0 653 02-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Stipe
  Touchpanel/Touchcomputer + iPhone = New Wireless Mouse & Keyboard 1080iAddict 2 1,030 02-01-2010, 07:27 PM
Last Post: 1080iAddict
  Using iPhone WebApp framework with CQC Bodshal 9 1,362 01-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Last Post: panos_k75
  iPhone templates Trioxide 17 2,085 01-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Last Post: SamVimes2