Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is CQC right for me? Also considering Allonis and Homeseer
With cameras you have to figure out your architecture first.

(1) Record always
(2) Record on event (motion/sound/whatever)
(3) Collect snapshots

I use #3 for a few reasons - allows easier compatibility with random cameras (i even get snaps from my Dropcams), allows better portability for viewing (email alerts, webriva, etc), and is virtually resource free (no Blue Iris/Syno/etc).

If you do have a virtualization server (ESXi is free, so no reason to not try it) then you can mitigate a lot of the resource hogging like IVB suggests, but the software is still fairly beastly so you need to account for it in your host and management designs.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
True, I do record on movement.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
(01-18-2018, 11:44 AM)socalsharky Wrote: What type of LV smart relay would I use?  Do you know of a specific device that would work?  I saw a video on YouTube where a guy assembled one from a 120V Zwave smart relay, a dumb outlet and a 12V automotive relay, but it was pretty bootleg in appearance.  Am I looking at some type of Zwave device here, or perhaps something that could integrate with Lutron Radio RA? 

Not sure if you're subscribed to my channel, but coincidentally I was annoyed at having to plug & unplug the LED strip lights I got off amazon. Recorded a quick vlog on relays here: https://youtu.be/soo8ktunY5Y

Walks through how to connect an LED strip light to the Elk relay, and then connect inside both ElkRP & CQC.
(01-19-2018, 09:24 AM)socalsharky Wrote: What cameras are you guys using with Blue Iris?

I'll mention the interior PTZ IP cameras, external are older commercial analog (as in going on 9 years old and still kicking)

Starting with the newest...

1x Amcrest UltraHD 2K
2x Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P
1x HooToo (wouldn't recommend)

Extremely happy with the Amcrest cams.

As an aside on our camper for a rear view I have a Reolink C2 Pan/Tilt 3X Optical mounted in the back window on a Fat Gecko Mini Camera and Camcorder Mount feeding an 8" Samsung Galaxy A tab running in split screen with navigation software in 1/2 and camera software in other half. Tablet is mounted to a Ram Mount windshield mount for the Galaxy Tab.

-Ben
(01-18-2018, 11:44 AM)socalsharky Wrote: [quote pid='149796' dateline='1515822866']
What type of LV smart relay would I use?  Do you know of a specific device that would work?  I saw a video on YouTube where a guy assembled one from a 120V Zwave smart relay, a dumb outlet and a 12V automotive relay, but it was pretty bootleg in appearance.  Am I looking at some type of Zwave device here, or perhaps something that could integrate with Lutron Radio RA? 

What are the options for multi-room music with CQC?  I am thinking several Echos, or perhaps Sonos in rooms where I might want music.  We already have 2 Echos, and they work well.  I would like to be able to stream music that I own, but not sure if Amazon or Sonos provide that capability.  Amazon music or Sirius XM are also options that we use currently.  I would also like CQC to be able to provide audio announcements or alerts through this system.  I do not want to run wires for WHA.

Global Cache has a wide variety of LV relay solutions like the iTac and GC-100 that are compatible with CQC.   There are UPB (I use Simply Automated) as well as Z-Wave (don't have any but have looked at solutions) based LV relay controls as well.

If you want a simple always works highly reliable whole house audio solution Sonos is the way to go! It just works, that simple.
(01-18-2018, 04:44 PM)jkmonroe Wrote:
(01-18-2018, 10:53 AM)socalsharky Wrote: Thanks for the reply.  How difficult is the programming and/or adding new devices/commands?  I have some Java experience, as well as extensive programming in VBA for MS office.
What are the specs for a PC running the CQC software, including some touch screens, and possibly media management?  I assume that this can be a small PC with no monitor store away in a closet and accessed via a browser from another computer in the house?

I am currently testing rPi's with the 7" touchscreen and Chromium as my interface viewers in the house

What rPi os are you using, do you have it configured to autoboot into Chromium, details please??? (maybe a new how to thread).  I'm building a whole house status info display that feeds into a 4x4 HDMI matrix and can be pulled up on any of the TVs in the house.  I'm thinking I'll make the display dynamic with overlays depending on how it is called up, security event, going to bed routine, etc.
ThinLinx (a thin client OS). It's pretty slick, complete with a centralized management console to set startup types (RDS, Citrix, Web, etc) and home page.

https://thinlinx.com/
do the needful ...
(01-20-2018, 08:48 AM)batwater Wrote: If you want a simple always works highly reliable whole house audio solution Sonos is the way to go! It just works, that simple.

It sounds like Sonos is basically a wifi speaker, connected to your home network, with full Alexa capabilities? Other than being able to stream your own music through the system, and there any big advantages of Sonos over the Echo?

With Sonos, can CQC make audio announcements over the Sonos speakers?
Sound quality is absolutely pitiful on the Echo. I have a One, much better. I obviously prefer the Connect hooked up to my own (far higher quality) speakers.

Re: Audio announcements over sonos, i'm actually trying to work through that myself. Haven't figured out how. But according to Reddit, another low-end HA package can so it's doable, we might need to beg Dean to upgrade the driver. Alas another thread here shows that Sonos may be on the verge of totally changing their API so it might not be worthwhile until then.

oh btw only the Sonos One has full Alexa capabilities. The others are just WiFi speakrs.
(01-24-2018, 07:33 PM)socalsharky Wrote: It sounds like Sonos is basically a wifi speaker, connected to your home network, with full Alexa capabilities?  Other than being able to stream your own music through the system, and there any big advantages of Sonos over the Echo?

With Sonos, can CQC make audio announcements over the Sonos speakers?

Audio announcements over Sonos are fairly easy.  I can run a webinar to go over how I do it using free software and a 'Sonos Favorites' station.  IVB just likes to make things difficult.  Smile

I agree with both IVB and Ben up there - the Echo speaker doesn't compare, and Sonos just works.  If you need/want wall mounted keypads, there are third party ones out there (iPort and Caseta), or you can use the Sonos app, Harmony Hub/Remote, or direct from CQC.  I run a full Sonos Home Theater in my living room and use Play:1's as my zone speakers everywhere else; it's a great system.

*If you don't really care about audio quality, and have smaller rooms, then an Echo might be OK for you.  Can't hurt to buy and try.  Smile
do the needful ...