Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CQC on Amazon
(10-31-2017, 07:07 PM)Ron Haley Wrote:
(10-31-2017, 06:58 PM)Ron Haley Wrote: I'm no network "expert", but I thought one of the benefits of vpn is that you can make remotes look like members of the local link. e.g. when I connect my Iphone via vpn to my home net, I  allocate addresses consistent with my local net.  e.g. 192.168.1.xxx. Again, anything but an expert here.

Saw this on the net;
After playing with it for a little while I made it work with L2TP IKEv2 VPN setup.

The idea is to get it on the same network as your Sonos devices and make multicast and broadcast work.

You can use:

1) raspberry pi or any linux device you're willing to use as a VPN gateway. Raspberry PI is cheap, small and has no fans
2) StrongSwan software on the server side for L2TP VPN connection. Required plugins: dhcp (for getting an IP address from your home router), farp (for proxying ARP to make it look like device is on the same network) , forecast (for broadcast / multicast forwarding)

To save people some time:

1) You don't have to join the same network but having your controller on a separate network will complicate the setup even more. it doable, though.
2) The most obvious setup - OpenVPN with 'tap' device won't fly. Android doesn't support TAP devices. making it work with TUN device is a nightmare.
3) Sonos controller must be connected to a wifi network to function properly, so you'll have to use public / private wifi or wifi hotspot on some other device in conjunction with VPN

Enjoy your music.

When you join your home network via VPN, you will get an address on your local LAN if that is what you configured, but VPN lives on Layer 3.  For true multicasting to work, you need to be down on Layer 2 (what I meant by local link - the data link layer).  Again, you can do it with a lot of futzing (see that list of steps), but man, the headaches -

So for something like this you want a layer 2 connection.  You can look at using an IGMP proxy to route multicast packets between subnets (mostly used to bridge VLANs), or take a look at PIM, or get into hack-ish territory (even though it will probably work) like using Beacons and TAP interfaces.

It's definitely an interesting exercise, and if I had more time I would give it a go myself.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Windows can run on some of the higher end Raspberry PI devices. I bet most of the master/slave software architecture is already in CQC to have a small server process running on the local windows Raspberry PI device controlling a local usb/serial port  device reporting up to the master server in AWS.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...getstarted

Not sure there is a business case here but seems Windows is working on getting into the IOT area.
I'm doing something somewhat related. My CQC machine is on a Windows VM hosted by my UnRAID server. I know it's not remote and redundant, but my UnRAID server is the most stable machine I've ever seen. My uptime is measured in years. Backed up by a UPS, which is backed up by an autorun generator. UnRAID also runs my Plex server in a docker. Slick.
My Other web server is Dropbox.
I am doing the same with unraid. It packs a hell of punch for the price with the VM and docker capability.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
I'm running unraid as well but not for CQC. How are you backing the bits and pieces of the unraid system up? Specifically Unraid itself, the VMs and the docker containers?

Rock solid, just runs.
I'm running Appdata Backup / Restore described here:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic...p-restore/

It seems to be working well, although I've never needed to restore anything.

Richard
My Other web server is Dropbox.
Thanks! My biggest fear is losing a VM. I had cheap Win 7 licenses that I upgraded to Win 10 for free, won't be free 2nd time around...
I was using crashplan not sure what I am going to do now that it is shutting down.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
(12-27-2017, 01:16 PM)batwater Wrote: Thanks!  My biggest fear is losing a VM.  I had cheap Win 7 licenses that I upgraded to Win 10 for free, won't be free 2nd time around...

Apparently it is persistent.  The upgrade is marked against your product key and you can use it again to upgrade to W10 because you did it through the period they offered it for free.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(12-27-2017, 01:20 PM)potts.mike Wrote: I was using crashplan not sure what I am going to do now that it is shutting down.

Yeah, me too, really bummed that CrashPlan is going commercial only, not sure what I'm going to do either.  There's nothing like it on the market...

Good to know on the Win 10 key persisting!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Echo Smart Home Skills API jkmonroe 23 3,616 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Amazon Echo $153 today only (on sale) IVB 0 851 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: IVB