Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CQC on Amazon
Sonos would probably not work in this scenario, nor would anything media related, or anything that uses mDNS. I wonder if you could get away with using an iTach Serial adapter?

To gain control of dedicated IP devices, it would likely be fine with a VPN just a bit slow. I bet I could move everything except Sonos/Brultech over to a cloud controller, but even the Brultech could move if an iTach device would work. Setting up a site-to-site is actually easy, but you need a router that supports it.

I haven't had a chance to play with WebRIVA yet, but that demo above really shows how powerful it can be, and how fast and reliable it would be on an AWS instance.

Hell, it might be worth it just to front-end WebRIVA if there was a simple/workable way to get a cloud-based interface server talking to a home-based master server.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
I did a quick AutoGen template to do a better test of CQC/WebRiva on  AWS. Looks very good.
Try this one out:.(again will leave up for 24 hours)

http://ec2-54-175-0-44.compute-1.amazona...gen&pw=aaa
Looks great. Using VPN, wouldn't the network look like a local net? Therefore, shouldn't sonos etc be ok?

I'm on Comcrap here - 250mb down, 12mb up. Was just at my daughters in Nashville. 100 mb up/down. That worked really well accessing my Synology NAS here in CA. I find it hard to believe that the network speed is going to be a big issue. I had no problems running on a 100 mb ethernet LAN before I upgraded to gigabit LAN.
The other angle is that Dean could have a "CQC" machine template on AWS, or in fact multiple templates. New user just selects the template he wants. Voila, there it is, no need to install etc. It's a server instance. Hopefully a lot of the "Windowsey" stuff could be made to "go away".
Just an aside for Sonos. Server here in CA. While in Nashville, Sonos App on Iphone with Plex plugin activated, I was able to play my Plex music on the Nashville Sonos.
(10-31-2017, 04:54 PM)Ron Haley Wrote: Looks great.  Using VPN, wouldn't the network look like a local net?  Therefore, shouldn't sonos etc be ok?

It's very complicated to make all that work. It would require some serious VPN and networking knowledge to set up and probably every scenario would be different and have to be dealt with by hand, and be modified based on any new hardware added and so forth.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Yeah, you *could* make Sonos work, but it would require lot of fuckery. It's a lot easier to just assume that multicast can't traverse subnets (local link only). Smile

If you want to head down the rabbit hole, the things to look for would be a VPN-Ethernet bridge, IGMP proxying, some sort of uPNP daemon, and what ports (4500/5353 UDP) need to be permitted and routed.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
I'm no network "expert", but I thought one of the benefits of vpn is that you can make remotes look like members of the local link. e.g. when I connect my Iphone via vpn to my home net, I allocate addresses consistent with my local net. e.g. 192.168.1.xxx. Again, anything but an expert here.
(10-31-2017, 06:58 PM)Ron Haley Wrote: I'm no network "expert", but I thought one of the benefits of vpn is that you can make remotes look like members of the local link. e.g. when I connect my Iphone via vpn to my home net, I  allocate addresses consistent with my local net.  e.g. 192.168.1.xxx. Again, anything but an expert here.

Saw this on the net;
After playing with it for a little while I made it work with L2TP IKEv2 VPN setup.

The idea is to get it on the same network as your Sonos devices and make multicast and broadcast work.

You can use:

1) raspberry pi or any linux device you're willing to use as a VPN gateway. Raspberry PI is cheap, small and has no fans
2) StrongSwan software on the server side for L2TP VPN connection. Required plugins: dhcp (for getting an IP address from your home router), farp (for proxying ARP to make it look like device is on the same network) , forecast (for broadcast / multicast forwarding)

To save people some time:

1) You don't have to join the same network but having your controller on a separate network will complicate the setup even more. it doable, though.
2) The most obvious setup - OpenVPN with 'tap' device won't fly. Android doesn't support TAP devices. making it work with TUN device is a nightmare.
3) Sonos controller must be connected to a wifi network to function properly, so you'll have to use public / private wifi or wifi hotspot on some other device in conjunction with VPN

Enjoy your music.
Also;
https://medium.com/@kfow35/using-your-am...e8527a16a9

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Echo Smart Home Skills API jkmonroe 23 2,143 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Amazon Echo $153 today only (on sale) IVB 0 562 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: IVB