Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
CQC on Amazon
Has anyone run CQC in a windows instance on Amazon?  If so, any feedback?
What you do you mean by 'on Amazon'? Do you mean some remote Windows hosted by Amazon or something like that?
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Exactly - amazon has instances of windows. You can try it for free.

https://aws.amazon.com/windows/
I'm not sure that would work very well. You'd need to control local hardware still, so there'd be a lot of connections back to the LAN, a lot of which may not be designed for secure communications. Nor is the IV or AI designed to heavily secure all their traffic since it's all assumed to be local LAN based. And if you had other, local systems, they would be on the local LAN, and there would be issues with event triggers getting between them and the MS. And those (secondary servers) all also assume local LAN type speeds and latencies being available.
Dean Roddey
Ron,
CQC seems to run fine on the AWS Cloud. Below I have installed CQC on an AWS EC2 instance and accessed it via my home computer via WebRiva over the Internet. Interface Is very useable.
I don't have a use case for this but I bet someone could get one of the USB over IP devices to work  since it isn't rocket science:  like  https://www.flexihub.com
I bet the best solution would be to invent a CQC Cloud PI (running on a Raspberry pi with a serial port and a usb(for local hardware) that talks to your AWS or other cloud master instance). 
That way you get the benefit of a having one local cheap device to control the local environment(and send for help if internet is lost) and a fully geographically redundant server in the cloud.

[Image: NPWmzCf.png]
If you guys want to have a look I will leave CQC running on Amazon AWS for 24 hours....( I think it would only cost me a buck or two) 

http://ec2-54-175-0-44.compute-1.amazona...Pad&pw=aaa

I did a quick AutoGen template to do a better test of CQC/WebRiva on  AWS. Looks very good.
Try this one out:.(again will leave up for 24 hours)

http://ec2-54-175-0-44.compute-1.amazona...gen&pw=aaa
But you would have to allow for various things to go the other way, i.e. back to your home, which would mean either exposing a number of ports (to things that are not designed to be exposed) or doing some serious VPN magic to make it work correctly while keeping it safe. The latter is way beyond my pay grade. Broadcasts are involved and would be quite messy.
Dean Roddey
(10-30-2017, 08:58 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: But you would have to allow for various things to go the other way, i.e. back to your home, which would mean either exposing a number of ports (to things that are not designed to be exposed) or doing some serious VPN magic to make it work correctly while keeping it safe. The latter is way beyond my pay grade. Broadcasts are involved and would be quite messy.

Wouldn't be that hard(famous last words).   There are a few open source usb over IP for raspberry pi's
Here is one that is on $39 and runs on raspberry pi 
http://www.virtualhere.com/

I don't have the time or the use case right now to investigate more  but... I could see if you had few houses or a lot of kiosk's that you don't want to admin a server in each location it could be useful.

Anyway was an interesting exercise...
This is an interesting concept.

I can see this working with say a Digit Etherlite or other similar terminal server giving you the local serial ports (or the Global Cache) over IP. I have 32 serial ports on my Digi, plus another four in a remote location so conencting to them would (should) be a breeze with this service.

I suspect a a VPN would make it much more secure and simpler to integrate - if you can get your head around the VPN voodoo.

I use the above mentioned virtualhere already at work with a Rapsberry Pi - has been rock solid so far. I dont have any USB based devices at home to test it with so I cant comment on it with CQC specifically.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
This is pretty interesting to me too. I'm considering building or buying a new server. Some rough calculations indicate that break even time would be somewhere around 3 years for an EC2 vs a new purchase. That's not bad considering I don't need to manage the pc. Mostly. A VPN connection with a Digiport would provide all the functionality necessary. There is of course a bit of latency. But that's a trade off choice.
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amazon Echo Smart Home Skills API jkmonroe 23 3,589 04-19-2016, 08:40 PM
Last Post: IVB
  Amazon Echo $153 today only (on sale) IVB 0 847 04-19-2016, 01:09 PM
Last Post: IVB