Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.2.0 follow up releases
I posted version 5.2.9 (link in the first post of this thread), which is more fixes and small improvements on the way towards a followup release. It would be really nice to get some feedback on this guy.

I had to make a number of changes to deal with the issue of double slashes getting into remote file paths (e.g. /User//Whatever). There was sort of an assumption that you could never have an invalid CQC level path without that creating an invalid OS level path, which would cause any attempt to read or write to fail. But, sadly, Windows ignores double slashes in file names. So such a file access could succeed, and that file would get into the data server's in memory cache under a different path key. So you could have some things get one version and some things getting another.

So a bunch of stuff was added to prevent this from happening, at multiple levels, from warning you about it if you try to enter one, to getting rid of any that had somehow gotten stored away, to getting rid of any that might get created dynamically in actions before they are sent to the server, to the server as a last line of defense getting rid of them before it uses the path.

It just goes to show you that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Every time standards are relaxed to accept incorrect data without complaining, it just causes endless grief. The internet is awash with such problems. Anyhoo, that's camels of a different stripe under the bridge at this point. This version should prevent that.

This also gets the custom overlay stuff in the auto-gen back working happily now. And there was an issue in both auto-gen and scaling where a small image could get scaled down to zero size. If it ain't one thing, it's another.

BTW, the previous couple versions introduced some nice new capabilities like search for widgets and the remote file dialog remembering the last accessed path on a per-type basis. These are both nice to have, so a good reason to upgrade.

There's some small chance that I introduced some little glitch or something, but just let me know and I'll fix it quickly. But, overall, the last four'ish drops have taken care of a lot of stuff that should make the product more robust and performant.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I posted 5.2.10, which has yet still more fixes and small improvements leading up to a 5.2.x official followup release.

One useful this is that the RIVA system's ability to let each client set the special environmentally driven action runtime values has been implemented in WebRIVA. If you add options like this:

it will set any of the nine available variables to the values indicated. Any not set explicitly will just be empty. You can do this in Windows for the regular IV as well of course, but there you put them in the Windows environment. Since WebRIVA clients are actually running 'virtual IV' sessions on the WebServer, they have to tell it what values they want.

Anyhoo, this allows you to force client specific functionality where desired, and to do so in a consistent way whether regular IV or WebRIVA client.
Dean Roddey
Anyone had a chance to install 5.2.10? I think we have a good, solid set of fixes and improvements that we can get out there as an official release. But it would be a lot more comfortable if more folks than me have tried it, and used it in active system configuration not just using an existing, already set up system.

I'm going to resist making any more changes other than fixing any discovered issues that really need to be fixed, and give folks a chance to catch up and see if there's any wee tweaks needed before it happens. I'm going to go back to some unobtrusive driver work.
Dean Roddey
I updated yesterday evening, haven't noticed anything yet
No issues so far..
Denon 3808ci, 2112ci , SONOS, Russound CAA66,Z-Wave(Lights,Locks), Hue, SmartThings,
iPads,Tivo,Hikvision,Elk-M1,iTunes,TED5000,Somfy RTS blinds, Amazon Echo, Google Home, Polk XRT12,
Honeywell Wi-Fi 9000 & Caleo Wi-Fi Thermostats, Rainmachine
I've made 5.2.11 the new official version now. It has a couple small fixes beyond 5.2.10, mostly it's docs updates to get the changes since 5.2.1 reflected.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5.1.0 followup releases Dean Roddey 47 9,831 07-17-2017, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  4.2 Followup Releases Info Dean Roddey 131 11,333 11-28-2012, 08:36 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey