Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mic for CQC Voice and other misc Q's
Whats everyone using for CQC Voice in the way of mic's

I know the Kinect works from reading and I can find them for round $50but the issue I see then is that they are needing a PC close by.

Is there a mic that is network based or something else that is more suitable for room install?

Does this PC with the mic connected need to be running a CQC server?

Running through some ideas and possible options it would be great if the CQC Voice server could be ported to ARM to allow a Raspberry Pi to connect to the Kinect (or other USB based mic) and then it would be a networked device.

I'd love to see a porting of the deivce server as well so that a Pi could be used in remote locations - keep it really simple, just the bare basics of a device server that is configured by the master server and has no Gui or headend, just some basic command lines for config.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
It needs to be an array type mic, unless you are talking directly into it. So, on an office desk you could have a regular mic right above the monitor or something and it should be fine. But, for in a room, it needs to be an array mic of some sort.

The Kinect One (or Kinect for X-Box as it's also called) is the least expensive one of that sort around. Another option the next step up the price range would be the Acoust Magic Tracker (the 1 version, you don't really need the 2 version which costs more.)

https://www.acousticmagic.com/products/v...i-details/

Or, there are various other conference room oriented array mics, some linear, some circular types, that you can buy, though the price starts going up. Some of those round ones would be good maybe for a living room table setup, where you'd be generally talking to it from chairs and couches arranged around it.

Others have also suggested getting one of those DSP systems used for conference room, a used one. It allows you to plug in multiple regular microphones and it does the array processing inside the box, and spits out a single audio output. They often support mics that hang from the ceiling, which is probably a good way to do it in terms of keeping them close to you but out of the way.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
So that really makes the echo the thing to use - a dot is so much cheaper than a Kinect by the time you factor in the adapter needed for USB connectivity and the dot does not need a PC tied to it.

Coupled with the multiroom audio and the other benefits that are coming through with an echo its hard to say use the dedicated CQC voice option - not until we can say use an echo for either/both or another mic becomes available at a much reduced price.

I'm spec'ing a system up now and voice is wanted and I was going to go CQC Voice but its a hard sell when a single mic is worth about 5 echo's.

Is there anyone out there with real world usage feedback that can compare the two?
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Just for some FYI, here is an article someone linked to elsewhere where someone had done some benchmarking on some available array mics. These are of the basic sort, not sold as final enclosed products, but the price is good and it wouldn't be hard to mount them attractively I'd guess.

https://medium.com/snips-ai/benchmarking...0de8876fda

The Respeaker looks like the best deal. If we updated Voice to support multiple mics, a few of those around the room would not cost a lot, and they indicate it works as is with Windows, so no need for a Pi or anything presumably.
Dean Roddey
Working with windows is not the issue - its the distance between the mic and the PC. USB has a length limit as we all know (about 5m).

This is why I was prompting a Pi - its a USB to Ethernet adapter for windows to use.

Thanks for the link

I found a kinect 2 for $28 last Friday (used). Thats a hard price to beat. unfortunately they need a USB adapter which costs just as much
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(10-22-2017, 11:45 PM)znelbok Wrote: Working with windows is not the issue - its the distance between the mic and the PC.  USB has a length limit as we all know (about 5m).  

This is why I was prompting a Pi - its a USB to Ethernet adapter for windows to use.

While it is true that USB is limited to 5m without help there are active USB repeater cables that give you much greater distance, I am using several in my setup.  Here is a link to a Monoprice search for such cables.

While I like the idea of the Pi for additional flexibility it is added complexity and cost. Although with a wireless Pi setup you are only constrained by power availability vs having to also run a USB cable or Ethernet cable for a hardwired Pi solution.  Pros and cons to everything I suppose...

-Ben
Thought I'd mention that I scored a used Acoustic Magic Voice Tracker 1 on eBay for a good price.  It's on its way so I'll be testing it out hopefully before too long with CQC Voice.  Also with the various sales on Google Home I grabbed a mini one of those too to see what it's all about...  If people are interested I'll try and do a  bit of a comparison at some point after I play around a bit and get some experience.
It will be interesting to see how much difference there is there. I've not enough experience with such things to really know where the Kinect sits in terms of capabilities.
Dean Roddey
I'm too lazy to search, but is Google Home supported in CQC some way. Got a free mini a couple of weeks ago
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
No, it's not supported. I'm not even sure how it would be interfaced to to be honest. I've not looked into it.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC Voice Use cases IVB 20 434 06-02-2018, 02:26 PM
Last Post: IVB
  CQC Voice Mics other than Kinect/Acoustic Magic IVB 2 91 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC Voice zane 3 1,279 10-16-2017, 09:20 AM
  how deep is your (echo voice control) love? IVB 197 13,899 05-23-2016, 08:47 AM
  Voice-activated HA via tasker IVB 70 8,840 09-16-2014, 12:26 PM
  Android based device Voice control of CQC How To Discussion Thread batwater 5 2,420 12-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Last Post: RichardU
  2nd Google Hangout - More on Mobile Voice Control sic0048 31 4,791 08-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  Is anyone using the ELK for CQC driven voice annoucements? sic0048 5 1,223 01-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Misc. questions for IVB and others about HA jt76 20 2,903 12-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Last Post: ellisr63
  Notification of Voice Mail - Is it possible? sic0048 1 994 11-28-2006, 08:50 PM