Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A word of warning regarding the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
I updated to what is supposed to be the RTM candidate for the next version of Windows 10 (10.0.16299.15) which is heading for GA next week..

On restart CQC grabbed 100% of the CPU (pretty evenly split among the CQC and CID processes). It took 10 minutes to get to the task manager and I was able to kill the processes.

I tried cqcnettest but all it does is output the copyright message and then exits.

I am guessing some sort of network oddity as when I pinged what should have been a local system I saw:
>ping beachfield-t61p
Pinging Beachfield-t61p.lifebridgehealth.org [92.242.xxx.xxx] with 32 bytes of data:
4 Request timed out messages.

To add insult to injury, MS SQL Server is consuming 35% of CPU resources.

Further, remote desktop fails after connecting to Windows 10 clients in about 15 seconds. It succeeds with Windows Server 2008 & 2012, & 2003 clients.

I am reverting to the previous Windows version and will put updates on hold.
Mark Stega
Fortunately I have an image backup from Sunday. Part of Windows 10 Recovery allows you to go back one version. But in this case, the previous version was 10.0.16299.0 which was installed this morning as part of the update process.
Mark Stega
Is lifebridgehealth completely unrelated to you? I'm just wondering how that could have even happened. It would have to have been set up to append that domain name. Maybe they changed the TCP/IP settings during upgrade and enabled the domain name somehow. But it still would have to have chosen that domain name somehow.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
If that version it went back to is the one that includes the fall cummulative updates, I have that on my machines now and it's working fine.
Dean Roddey
I got updated a couple of weeks ago, but haven't noticed any issues except for a forced reboot and then having to reboot it again manually to fix. I had Windows Update disabled but MS somehow snuck around my efforts and updated my machine anyway. Out of 4 machines that is the only one that got updated. They added a few scheduled jobs to Windows Scheduler that caused the update to trigger, I have disabled those as well now.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
(10-11-2017, 01:00 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: If that version it went back to is the one that includes the fall cummulative updates, I have that on my machines now and it's working fine.

Yes, I went back to the version that was the Spring Creators update 10.0.15063 which came out in April and has had several major updates. Everything is working fine on that version. The only way to get the fall update now is to opt into the Windows Insider program. Roll-out to the masses is scheduled to start next week.
Mark Stega
(10-11-2017, 01:00 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Is lifebridgehealth completely unrelated to you? I'm just wondering how that could have even happened. It would have to have been set up to append that domain name. Maybe they changed the TCP/IP settings during upgrade and enabled the domain name somehow. But it still would have to have chosen that domain name somehow.

It's got to be getting it from the VPN that I use to connect to LifeBridgeHealth.org. It shouldn't as the vpn was not active at the time.

Is there some switch I need to make CQCNetTest actually do something?
Mark Stega
Are you running it from the CQC command prompt? I.e. not just a regular comma prompt, which won't have the right environment.
Dean Roddey
(10-12-2017, 08:21 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Are you running it from the CQC command prompt? I.e. not just a regular comma prompt, which won't have the right environment.

No, I wasn't; It's been so long since I used it I forgot about it needing the environment. Is there anyway to detect the lack of environment and issue an appropriate warning?

Oh, and I couldn't find CQCNetTest in the docs
Mark Stega
It needs to be added to the /Tools section. I'll do that today. I've been trying to find the missing bits that got lost in translation and get them back in place, but there's always some bits and pieces I've missed.

I'll see about issuing an error by checking for an environmental variable. I think I set some other than just adding to the path and such.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 barely moving after upgrade. Deane Johnson 7 97 12-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Windows Server 2016 Essentials and CQC kblagron 2 135 11-30-2017, 11:00 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Issues after fall Windows updates Ron Haley 3 221 10-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Ron Haley
  rotate on windows 10 indygreg 3 512 08-09-2017, 07:26 AM
  COuld not update triggers znelbok 11 1,146 06-08-2017, 03:55 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  How to update to latest ghurty 11 1,571 05-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Exclamation Windows as a service? Now, there’s an argument for Linux batwater 5 958 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM
  ExecApp to Start/Stop Windows Service? jaydonoghue 6 1,111 01-04-2017, 06:46 PM
  Getting the IR windows in Admin Interface MikeA 2 786 07-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Last Post: MikeA
  Windows 10.0.10586.0 Mark Stega 32 4,011 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM