Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread
dean, how do we get the z-stick added as a secondary controller? i read the manual and it says that you must have it plugged in and use software to allow it to be included into an existing zwave network. does the driver do all of that for you once you get it plugged in and configured?
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Netatmo / Brultech
Yeh, the driver does that. Basically you just add the Z-Stick to the network just like any other unit. So it's just the standard unit inclusion process. You put the master into inclusion mode, and the client side driver interface will provide you with an option to put our driver into inclusion (or replication) mode, and that will cause the master to see we are wanting to be included and the process will begin.

The first you do it that adds the driver to the network. The master tells the driver about what units are currently available. In the case of security capable devices, that's also how the device (or our driver) gets access to the security key required to talk to secure devices.

That's also how the driver learns about newly added units. If you made changes to the units defined in the master, you just run the inclusion/replication process again and the driver is told again by the master what's out there now, and updates itself accordingly.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
So I have the basic scheme for the client driver to talk to the server driver worked out. At this point, I'm going to take a short detour and do something that's needed doing for some time. Currently for C++ drivers, all I have is a simple command line 'IDE' to work with. It's not possible at all to test client side drivers other than in the actual scenario, with the server side driver really loaded and the client in the AI.

That's just too limiting, and the turn around time to make changes is way too long. It's made me really stay away from doing client side drivers, and making them no more than what they absolutely need to be when I have to do them.

So I'm going to take my little command line guy and make it into at least a primitive but functionality GUI based one, which can load the client side driver and have them talk to each other there locally within the program (though neither will realize it.) This may take four or five days, maybe even a week, but it'll be well worth it long term. Ultimately, I'll probably make those days up in less time spent working on just this Z-Wave client driver, given what all it needs to do. And it'll save far more moving forward.

BTW, this isn't a debugger of course, I do that with Visual C++. This is a way to see and modify fields, send backdoor commands, see the driver status, that sort of thing. And now of course to run and test the client side driver.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 0 886 10-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 244 33,005 10-14-2017, 07:57 PM
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 3,802 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 85,618 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 9,346 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 228,290 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 8,873 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  How to obtain Beta versions? willsauter 3 2,039 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Last Post: willsauter
  Official 4.7 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 21 9,197 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread Dean Roddey 295 45,671 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM