Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google backup and sync and CQC
Dean,
Quick question. After waiting years google finally released the new google drive(Google backup and sync) that allows backing up files automatically that are not in the google drive path(yea).
It is a great way for me to automatically backup my CQC files with a 30 day history. 

I use it to backup my Bin and CQCData directories but everytime I upgrade CQC I need to re-setup Google backup and sync for those directories even though the directory name is the same.

My question(and no need to look into on your end to fix).
How does the CQC installer put files into "Bin" and "CQCData" when upgrading?  Do you rename/move directory then re-create and populate the directory? Or just install over current location?
Before I send email off to google wanted to understand a little more how the CQC installer does the files upgrade.
Thanks again
Kevin
There's a very careful dance that happens, so that it is absolutely sure it doesn't mess with the current installation until it knows everything has installed correctly, and of course it keeps the old info intact in case you want to put it back.

So it first creates two temp directories and does the install into those. Then it renames the current ones to the save names and renames the temp ones to the new. Before it attempts to do anything it does a test rename and back of both directories, to make sure that they are not locked by something.

My guess is that they are writing something into the directories, which is not a good thing. They should keep their own configuration somewhere else. They are probably creating some hidden directory or file or some such thing. When I create the new ones, their files would go with the old stuff and they'd think that the new current ones are ones they haven't seen yet. It's bad strategy on their part. They shouldn't be putting their own stuff into everyone else's directories.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(10-06-2017, 09:00 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: There's a very careful dance that happens, so that it is absolutely sure it doesn't mess with the current installation until it knows everything has installed correctly, and of course it keeps the old info intact in case you want to put it back.

So it first creates two temp directories and does the install into those. Then it renames the current ones to the save names and renames the temp ones to the new. Before it attempts to do anything it does a test rename and back of both directories, to make sure that they are not locked by something.

My guess is that they are writing something into the directories, which is not a good thing. They should keep their own configuration somewhere else. They are probably creating some hidden directory or file or some such thing. When I create the new ones, their files would go with the old stuff and they'd think that the new current ones are ones they haven't seen yet. It's bad strategy on their part. They shouldn't be putting their own stuff into everyone else's directories.

You called it.. Looks like google puts a ".tmp.drivedownload" hidden file in the directory(arrggg). Do you leave the root "CQC" directly in place and just move around the sub directory? or is that involved in the "dance" Smile.
Only the Bin and CQCData directories are affected. But, if you do the root you'll get two copies, the current and last replaced, so it'll be twice the data, unless they allow for selective sub-directories or something.

Also be careful about letting anything poke around in the data directories of active programs. They could possibly cause issues. And unless you stop the services you aren't really guaranteed to get a coherent image that will work when replaced.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(10-06-2017, 10:57 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Only the Bin and CQCData directories are affected. But, if you do the root you'll get two copies, the current and last replaced, so it'll be twice the data, unless they allow for selective sub-directories or something.

Also be careful about letting anything poke around in the data directories of active programs. They could possibly cause issues. And unless you stop the services you aren't really guaranteed to get a coherent image that will work when replaced.

Thanks Dean,  Google is cheap space so will test doing the entire CQC directory.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Home Integration using Amazon Echo Approach? Jnetto 4 1,368 12-21-2016, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Jnetto
  recently UPB driver out of sync with devices. anyone? bbrendon 13 1,927 07-03-2016, 10:03 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Google Charts and editing an HTML document standon 5 645 05-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Backup via Xcopy LesAuber 1 343 04-01-2013, 01:39 PM
  how to do a clean install, and restore a backup willplaice 6 846 01-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Last Post: wuench
  Keeping hvac control sync'd using IR charles 2 574 07-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Last Post: charles
  restoring a backup potts.mike 1 843 08-06-2011, 11:29 PM
  VP30 Sync Feature jpants 4 586 02-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Last Post: jpants
  Help: ISY Driver Out of Sync with Device JerryB 1 642 10-28-2010, 08:29 PM
  WeatherUnderground goes full screen with Google Maps Micco 0 782 02-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Last Post: Micco