Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monoprice Blackbird 4x4 HDMI Switcher - Driver request
Hi Dean,

My old (and crappy) Monoprice basic 4x4 HDMI switcher has shot craps.  I'm stepping up the game with this new Blackbird 4K 4x4 HDMI Matrix Switch. The manual is here, it has both Serial and TCP capability.  The control protocol is the same for both and is documented in the manual; it looks extremely easy to implement.  Having a reasonably priced 4x4 switcher that was easily controllable would be a great addition. 

Can you accommodate developing a new driver some time in the near future for this guy?

BTW, the Monoprice Blackbird model # 24179 is the generic version of the Sewell 4x4 HDMI 2.0 Matrix but is $100 (well $180 with discount) cheaper.

Thanks!
-Ben
If you just needed something for simple one way control over switching that could be done easily enough with a PDL driver I guess.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
For me personally not certain how much that buys me, I will already be able control it via IR with the Harmony Hub which is 1-way. Ideally looking for a full 2 way driver so that CQC knows the state regardless of where the changes originate.
That'll take some extra time. Ping me again when closer to a 5.2 release and there's some time to put another frying pan on the fire.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Sounds good Dean, thanks!
The unit arrived yesterday, I now have it configured and on the network and also have serial hooked up (for now) Any state changes, regardless of where they come from are reflected on all outputs, serial, IP and LCD panel. Commands are the same whether sent via RS232 or via IP. You can query the inputs and outputs to see if there are any devices connected. Very cool!!!

It has scene capability so you can pre-program up to 10 combinations of input source to output screen(s).

I'm extremely happy with this so far. Solid construction, 1U standard rack size with mounting brackets, comes with a remote and serial cable. Control syntax is straightforward and flexible.

Now off to hook it up the AV equipment...
I have been thinking about buying the 8x8.  A driver may actually convince me to buy one.  My component 12x8 component switcher has some rolling pink bands for a while now but I have been putting up with it until an affordable HDMI switching solution is available.  I have a real issue in purchasing a 4x4 since I would have to split one of the outputs to start and that seems like a short term solution.

What are you using to distribute your signals?

I will be interested to see how you are satisfied after a month.
Right now my 4x4 has been RMA'd for  replacement. Initial impressions have been very positive. I'm hoping that I was just unlucky. Unit is a generic of the Sewell switcher with same capability. 

Regarding distribution I have 4 different methods : (rolling experiment) 

1. Redmere active cables from Monoprice. Down to one, indirect lightning hit took out 2 of them, concluded too "fragile" for longer runs.
  2. Cat 5/6 extender  1 - Seco-Larm Enforcer HDMI - occasional sync issues, relegated to least used TV and remote power cycle added via UPB
  3. Cat 5/6 extender 2 - Pulse-Eight Neo:Lite Extender Kit -only been in use for a month, pleased with quality so far. Testing interrupted by 4x4 failure. Now Oppo Bluray connected directly to extender, so far so good.
  4. Straight HDMI
Testing of the driver has been interrupted by unit RMA; once I get the replacement will pound on and validate. Control of switcher is possible via serial (quality cable included), TCP, and lastly by browser interface. You can set up scenes such that 1 command will set multiple inputs to multiple outputs, pretty slick.

Once (if) you do pull the trigger look for a discount code, I found 20% off  Big Grin

Will report back once new unit is in hand and I can kick the tires for an extended period of time.

-Ben
Got the new replacement unit back last week Thursday 10/5 and now have it installed and working with a Harmony Hub and the new driver that Dean finished putting together today (Thanks Dean!!!) Now for the extended tire kicking...
Not 4K, but here's one with extenders.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2...gLUdPD_BwE
Flamin' Noobie...
Warp speed now and don't give me any of that dilythium crystal crap!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vantage Controls Driver for Infusion System KenC 3 619 10-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Another SMS Driver - SMS Global, one for everyone else znelbok 21 5,638 10-21-2017, 07:19 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  XBMC Driver wuench 419 114,500 07-02-2017, 11:04 AM
  IMAP Email Driver whozeawhat 11 2,133 06-14-2017, 11:53 AM
Last Post: whozeawhat
  Which JVC Projector Driver indygreg 29 5,734 05-12-2017, 08:29 AM
  Amazon Echo Hue Simulator Driver wuench 101 22,083 05-02-2017, 09:38 AM
  SageTV Player V2 Driver chmilar 6 1,672 04-14-2017, 03:36 PM
Last Post: chmilar
  SageTV Driver George M 16 3,127 02-16-2017, 07:10 PM