Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preview of new Web based RIVA client
So there is a 'full screen' API now. It's not consistently implemented on all browsers, but it appears it is implemented. I'd just have to deal with the differences. One gotcha is that, being a browser and with all of the worries of browser based malicious tools, there's no way to go full screen and prevent the user from getting out of it. So it won't be possible, I don't think, to do a secure kiosk style thing. Even if there's no available keyboard, there will almost certainly also be gesture mechanisms to get out of it as well for tablets.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Holding two fingers in the middle of the screen seems to work well for my IOS Riva Clients in full screen. (not sure if I just found that by accident or it is a documented feature).  I have never done that motion and accidentally brought up the settings/disconnect menu. Only need it when I need to clear the image cache,etc and don't want to exit the client.

Just a thought.
Kevin
Dean, looks great, cannot wait to try it out.
Thanks for all your effort on this one!
I just tried it on my tablet over the wifi and the response isn't much distinguishable from what you see in the video. One thing is though that I though I'd done what is necessary to keep the stupid browser from doing that 'drag to another screen' thing when you do a drag gesture, and it works fine on my desktop machine, but the laptop is still doing it, so you can't use gestures to move things. So I need to do some more work on that.
Dean Roddey
OK, it looks like I will have to override the touch events and translate them to messages to the web server, as I do with mouse messages. So that will take a little exploration. Actually it looks like mouse messages aren't working exactly right on the tablet either for that matter.
Dean Roddey
OK, I have it now supporting both mouse and touch input, so whichever is available on the machine running it.
Dean Roddey
So, looking more at the 'local storage' mechanisms available to browser based applications, it's completely useless as a persistent image cache, because the space allowed for is so tiny in image terms. So, it looks like images will always have to be downloaded (per run of the client, during any given run it can store as much in memory as it needs to.) Oh well, it simplifies a lot of things for me. Glad I looked up those limits before I wasted a lot of time writing code.

That also means no need to try to keep the client and browser in sync in terms of the client throwing images out of its cache. It still needs to send the server a list of the images it currently has, if it loses the connection and reconnects. It still has any image it received while previously connected, and it would be wasteful to download them again.
Dean Roddey
I am saying this cautiously, bandwidth should be less of an issue nowadays...
There are web pages that their initial load is easily 20-30MB
OK, the client is now sending the server an image map of what images it current has and their serial numbers, and the server waits for that before it starts loading the template and drawing. So, if you lose connection and reconnect, it generally won't download any images, unless some new image has become referenced since you lost the connection (maybe a clock hand image and its now a minute later or something.) So that's as efficient as I can make it on the image front.

I need to do a little work now to at least be able to have some basic sort of menu available. We need something to go into full screen mode, and stuff for enabling/disabling caching and verbose logging options and such. You can set those things in the URL, but you may want to change them at various points while debugging.
Dean Roddey
I almost got the menu done today, but I was just working on the messages to send changes to the server for those that are affecting how the server works. Hopefully I should finish that menu tomorrow and start working on the full screen thing, which is one of the menu options.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The RIVA Comm Buf Mgr pool is full and cannot be expanded any further zra 52 5,851 05-14-2017, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  HTTP-based Trigger Driver Docs znelbok 5 1,039 03-11-2017, 09:34 PM
  Client Side Drivers pinballmark 2 901 12-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Room config HTML based app preview Dean Roddey 5 1,081 11-05-2016, 02:53 PM
  5.0 Preview Stuff Dean Roddey 108 7,446 11-01-2016, 11:06 AM
  Repository + RIVA problems chmilar 7 1,254 03-29-2016, 02:14 PM
  4.8.2 preview Dean Roddey 18 1,874 01-26-2016, 12:59 PM
  Repointing CQC Client to new server address? Deane Johnson 11 1,684 11-10-2015, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Client won't connect Deane Johnson 12 1,678 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Graphing on IOS Client zra 1 1,103 04-04-2015, 09:29 AM