Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Preview of new Web based RIVA client
(07-07-2017, 04:15 AM)kfly Wrote: Do you think we should do something like this to make an app for distribution of the "Web client"?

https://developer.chrome.com/multidevice...ingstarted

That is certainly one possibility, but it leaves iStuff users in the lurch.

I've wrapped a browser based app using Electron (https://electron.atom.io/) as a trial horse. The advantage is that it gives a path to both iOS and Android clients. We are waiting to see how much it is needed before expending more effort.
Mark Stega
I'd argue for not doing that. Just let it be served up by the web server. That way you know you always have the latest stuff. If you upgrade CQC, the clients will lose connection while the server is down. When it comes up, they'll reload and get the latest stuff. No need to install anything, or worry about keeping things in sync. Just hit the URL and you are done.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Have you tested on iOS?
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
(07-07-2017, 04:30 AM)bryanb Wrote: Dean, that looks great. A lot of progress in a short period of time. I would like to encourage you to include the web camera widget in the first pass. Otherwise, we'll still have to use an RDP app on the iPad or other tablets. Thanks for all the hard work. Bryan

I'm not sure if it's even possible. Keep in mind that we are already in a browser. Can a browser start a separate browser window and manage it and keep it positioned and all that? I'm not sure that'd actually doable. I'll look into it and hopefully something can be done, but it's a possibility that it's not a possibility.

Or, maybe it can be done via some sort of video widget in the same browser window. It would have to be layered over the canvas as such things are in the real IV.
Dean Roddey
(07-07-2017, 10:48 AM)potts.mike Wrote: Have you tested on iOS?

Not yet. It's just gotten far enough along to bother. I'll get a beta out here soon and everyone can try it and let me know what their experience is and we can look into any issues. I have my new Android phone for testing (which I've yet to get around to getting a number for, but I can still use it for testing on the local Wifi for performance and compatibility.)
Dean Roddey
(07-07-2017, 04:37 AM)jkmonroe Wrote: Awesome.

Quick question - what does the interface look like when you put the browser into kiosk mode?  Does it just work?

Native RasPi + touchscreen clients will be a thing now.  This is BIG.

I have no idea what full screen means at this point. But obviously some browser based games do it, right? If so, then presumably we can. It would just be like the IV is full screen with just the WebRIVA interface showing I would think. That's something I've yet to dig into. We don't need that to get an initial beta out for folks to bang on though.
Dean Roddey
I just found this doing a quick search. Can anyone make something of it?

Hide the address bar in a fullscreen iPhone or Android web app

https://gist.github.com/nateps/1172490
I guess the big issue with supporting things like web cameras is that, unlike with the IV, we may not have the luxury of just throwing a third party video processing system onto the machine and making use of it. I'm not sure how all of that works out, but I guess we are limited to what can be done from within the browser? If so and if the browser doesn't, say, support streaming RTSP, can we get around that on these platforms? I dunno. Maybe there's some third part libraries that can make up for such things.
Dean Roddey
True but clearly you can play a video in a browser.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2245...a-web-page

B
You can, but you need it to support the video format being streamed. If you just invoke a video player and point it at a streaming server or at a shared file, the video player just reads in the data at it's leisure, and it can buffer up the data so that it has read ahead a good bit to make up for network issues.

With RTSP, it's pushed from the camera to the thing that plays it. That's a much different thing from playing video files or streaming video from a server that's just making DVD or Blu-ray data available. There's no pausing or reading ahead. It has to take it real time, which is a lot harder to do right. This is probably while a lot of browsers don't try to deal with it, because they can't just invoke a video player to do it, because it's a very different type of protocol that has to be supported in the thing doing the playback.

We can do it now on Windows because basically VLC is creating some sort of ActiveX presumably that is handling that data. But that's not a portable solution.

One suggestion made there on that page, and it may become the ultimate answer, and that works best with the regular IV as well since it doesn't require VLC, is to use a streaming server that can transcode the data on the fly and make it available via a pull style protocol, like HLC, which a regular player can handle. So you point your cameras at the server and it handles all of the camera streams and re-serves the up. That also will allow for more than one client to access the data streams as well, which may not be the case if you use the RTSP stream from the camera directly.

But this re-streaming would likely involve a reasonably amount of latency, since it would have to buffer up enough data to allow for pull type protocols to think they are reading from a file. So what you are seeing will be from some X number of seconds ago, not sure how big X is.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The RIVA Comm Buf Mgr pool is full and cannot be expanded any further zra 52 5,824 05-14-2017, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  HTTP-based Trigger Driver Docs znelbok 5 1,037 03-11-2017, 09:34 PM
  Client Side Drivers pinballmark 2 893 12-13-2016, 01:31 PM
Last Post: pinballmark
  Room config HTML based app preview Dean Roddey 5 1,070 11-05-2016, 02:53 PM
  5.0 Preview Stuff Dean Roddey 108 7,422 11-01-2016, 11:06 AM
  Repository + RIVA problems chmilar 7 1,247 03-29-2016, 02:14 PM
  4.8.2 preview Dean Roddey 18 1,858 01-26-2016, 12:59 PM
  Repointing CQC Client to new server address? Deane Johnson 11 1,662 11-10-2015, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Client won't connect Deane Johnson 12 1,662 10-30-2015, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Deane Johnson
  Graphing on IOS Client zra 1 1,097 04-04-2015, 09:29 AM