Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread
Dean, Way over my head with this conversation but figured I would try. Trend seems to be for Home automation controllers to move away from controlling device directly(low level). but instead use OAuth2 over the internet to some kind of http get?. Seems it offloads a lot of change risk to local drivers querying and controlling devices. (my amazon echo, google home and smartthings hub all do this )
Yes it makes us 100% reliant on the internet for home control but I remember when I had a dedicated T1 circuit into my house because the "Internet" was not reliable.

Any appetite for a shift away from CQC drivers controlling things directly but to leverage the recent standards being developed for remote access of devices?
Examples: https://graph.api.smartthings.com and https://api.honeywell.com/oauth2/authorize

I know it is a little mind shift but I would rather my CQC control my smartthings hub, Echo, Google home, or other devices like my Honeywell thermostats via the open api over the internet. Yes I will give up a few seconds response time and add some bandwidth traffic but the IOT is going that way.

Up side example: if there was a good driver for the smartthings api over the internet you would instantly increase the number and types of devices CQC could control.(as smartthings hub at $49 controls thousands of devices with all different protocols).

Let CQC be the brains and user interface and let smartthings hub,etc do the low level device control via internet Oauth2.

My 2c.
OAUTH is just a standard for authentication, not control. So it could be allowed to, for example, let you use your Google ID to login to CQC. But nothing to do with controling devices.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
Yeh, you beat me to it. It is a standard'for authentication but the actual protocols involved are still all different, and in the case of cloud based ones, with the extra downside of more moving parts and network dependence. We currently use it for the Nest driver.

As to using some other hub to get access to devices, it could be done of course, but we'd never be a serious player doing things like that, and we'd be at the mercy of a 'competitor'.

For the most part this stuff isn't an issue. It's just that Z-Wave is just one of those cases that always seems to happen, where the worst option gets the most popular. But, once the new driver is done, we should be able to deal with whatever silliness comes out of that world moving forward, which is why I'm doing this despite the fact that we have a basically workable driver currently. I want to get something done that is survivable and where we aren't constantly having to say, no, sorry can't support that because it's just yet another possible way to skin a Z-Wave cat that we didn't foresee.

If Leviton had done just a slightly better job on the VRC0P we could stick with it. But, as with all things Z-Wave it falls frustratingly short.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(09-16-2017, 09:30 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: But, once the new driver is done, we should be able to deal with whatever silliness comes out of that world moving forward, which is why I'm doing this despite the fact that we have a basically workable driver currently. I want to get something done that is survivable and where we aren't constantly having to say, no, sorry can't support that because it's just yet another possible way to skin a Z-Wave cat that we didn't foresee.

Dean, really appreciate your taking this on!!! I have multiple z-wave devices sitting in the wings waiting for CQC connectivity.

-Ben
I'm back to a compilable Z-Wave driver again after some major swizzling. I think that it's getting pretty well structured now. We'll see how it does.

I also did some doc updates today to get some missing stuff in place and some rearranging and whatnot.

I was playing with the WebRIVA thing where it loses connection while in the bgn tab. I didn't quite get it figured out. I'll bang on it more tomorrow.
Dean Roddey
Banged away all day and never got a workable version of the latest stuff. Got disgusted with it and decided to have another go and rearranging it, in the hopes of simplifying it more, but going back to a bit more busy work at each point where a message is sent. Trying to come up with something auto-magically to get rid of that busy work just wasn't working. It's too inconsistent and difficult to keep with what's where when. So I just tried to make it as easy as possible to do the busy work.

I'll pick it up again tomorrow. I'm starting to feel kind of mentally challenged here.
Dean Roddey
OK, finally a big breakthrough. I got rid of my somewhat ad hoc set of flags and such that tracked what was going on in the thread that manages the msg I/O, and realized that I could get it down to a very formalized state machine, without any loss of throughput because the limitations of the Z-Wave protocol wouldn't allow for more than that anyway.

That in turn vastly simplified the logic, and allowed me to get very detailed trace log info about how it was moving from this state to that state. That in turned showed me some things I was missing.

One of them was that some types of acks must be in turned acked. I wasn't doing that, so if I asked something to send me a receipt ack (which I do on things that don't send back a reply per se), it was sending me a receipt ack and I wasn't acking that so it was just retrying it and that would make me time out because it wasn't responding to me, etc... So that improved things a lot, and explained a number of issues I had before. And I also now see any unclaimed acks of any type, which tells me something upstream didn't appropriately set up the outgoing msg, so that I can take care of that.

And I'm now packing outgoing msgs with lots of info as I build them (without undue busy work in the creation) so that the I/O thread knows exactly what they are and how to respond. The burden gets moved to the sender, but ultimate he's the only one who can really make sense of the fairly ad hoc nature of the protocol and msg formats, which are quite inconsistent.

Anyhoo, the inclusion is going perfectly now, way better than before with no misfires in the trace, no msg retries from my side or the Z-Stick side, and all the security back and forth is completely smooth. Beyond that I start doing my module info gathering phase where I still need to get that working again in the new scheme, but that's just details. It's all updated I've just got some goobers in there to take care of. I'll get that going again easily enough.

So, eventually even I can figure something out. I've come at this thing probably ten different ways now, some based on looking at other implementations and figuring they must know what they are doing, but maybe they don't. Anyway, this scheme works by far the best for me.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 9 1,174 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 38,239 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 4,447 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 108,128 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 6,257 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  How to obtain Beta versions? willsauter 3 1,000 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Last Post: willsauter
  Official 4.7 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 21 6,509 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread Dean Roddey 295 28,710 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM
  CQC hangs (latest beta) Bugman 7 2,039 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Bugman
  4.6 Official Beta Discussions Thread Dean Roddey 514 33,636 11-04-2014, 03:57 PM