Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread
OK, that's obviously going through some other path. I'll check it.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
OK, well I'm definitely talking to the lock. I have yet to get it to do anything with the door lock specific msgs, but I've otherwise now got it talking to me, with both secure and non-secure messages.

I hate to think it but all that time I spent may have just been something specific to lock/unlock, and I thought it just wasn't talking to me. But I've got the 'get node info' probe thing running and getting all of the usual info, so it's got to be just something specific to the lock operations that I need to figure out.
Dean Roddey
OK, I just unlocked the lock. But I'm not quite sure why it worked. If I try to send the lock command by itself it never responds. But it always responds to my probe method that gets node information from it. So I just put the probe call before the lock command and then it worked. The probe call woke it up and then the lock command works.

So there's something about the calls being made in there that will beam the lock and wake it up, that doesn't happen when I just send the lock command by itself. That's pretty weird.
Dean Roddey
(09-08-2017, 02:53 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: OK, I just unlocked the lock. But I'm not quite sure why it worked. If I try to send the lock command by itself it never responds. But it always responds to my probe method that gets node information from it. So I just put the probe call before the lock command and then it worked. The probe call woke it up and then the lock command works.

So there's something about the calls being made in there that will beam the lock and wake it up, that doesn't happen when I just send the lock command by itself. That's pretty weird.
Could it be something about the need to beam for a full second before you can unlock?

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/de...rimer.html

"Some battery powered devices like door locks and thermostats have to be able to receive commands at any time. These are known as beamable devices, because they wake up for only a tiny slice of time each second or quarter-second and listen for a “beam”. Thus, the sending device must “beam” the receiving device for a full second to wake it up fully before sending a command. This makes communication with these devices take a significantly longer time than with a normal listening device."
But the Z-Stick is supposed to know to do this. It has the information that the lock is either a 250Ms or a 1000MS wakeup period device. And clearly when I send a node info query it wakes the lock up. That's the message that's doing it. But it doesn't wake it up when I just send, say, a lock command or other types of messages. The reason why my node info gathering method works is because the first thing it does is get the basic node info, which is waking up the lock. And I can put that node info query before the lock command and then it works.

So there's something about the node info query that makes it wake up the lock, but I don't know why its special. The only thing I can think of is that you have to call that to find out if the device is a beam receiving device or not, so maybe it just always sends the beam for that message. But, that information comes from the EPROM in the Z-Stick, so it knows that the device requires a beam, and it apparently is turning that beam on when I send the node info query.

I don't know why it doesn't do it when I send a lock command.
Dean Roddey
I could obviously send a node info request before every message to a frequently listening node, but that's sort of overkill it seems to me. Somehow, some way, the stupid Z-Stick is supposed to know to do that if the target is marked as a frequently listening node. Well, it wouldn't have to be before every one, but to wake it up for one or more exchanges. It will stay awake for a while as long as messages be being sent to it. But keeping up with that would be messy.
Dean Roddey
(09-08-2017, 01:40 PM)Mark Stega Wrote: The message I got does not have the path. Try this:

* Start the CQC installer and run to where it has stopped CQC and gives you the option of backing up.
* Presuming that CQC shut correctly, go to the admin tool -> services and start CQC
* Choose the backup button
* The backup fails and you get a popup with a title of "Backup CQC Installation" and text of "The backup operation did not complete successfully. See the install log.". There is no path (See the attached png).

OK, that should be fixed for next time. Since that process happens before the actual install, it was displaying its own error popup which didn't include the path info. I still have it on the list to create a custom dialog to report errors that has an option to just load it up for you.
Dean Roddey
OK, this is a weird one. A band from down under presumably, called Twelve Foot Ninja. This song is like one part cookie monster metal, one part grunge, but it has sections that are very funky R&B, and very jazzy, all with crazy time signature changes throughout. You don't see that every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-v9Aeb7Pr0

The actual song starts around 2:00.
Dean Roddey
(09-14-2017, 06:24 PM)Dean Roddey Wrote: OK, this is a weird one. A band from down under presumably, called Twelve Foot Ninja. This song is like one part cookie monster metal, one part grunge, but it has sections that are very funky R&B, and very jazzy, all with crazy time signature changes throughout. You don't see that every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-v9Aeb7Pr0

The actual song starts around 2:00.

OK - Very Strange!
Thanks,
Dave Bruner
Cool
I've not been reporting about it, but I have actually been continuing to work on the new Z-Wave driver. I've been trying this, that and the other, to see what works best, and honing in on how to structure it. Though every such change breaks it and I have to piece it back together, it is getting better as I learn something from each explosion. I'm trying to get it down to where there's the least amount of replicated grunt work code, but still to have enough flexibility to deal with what might come up. That's tough because of so much evolutionary baggage and complexity in the Z-Wave world, but a lot can be done.

I never found out why the lock only wakes up when I send it that one message, but it doesn't much matter. As long as it wakes up. That message is not particularly high overhead and there's already a lot of back and forth with secure units anyway and they aren't talked to very often to being with, so it's not of much concern. So I'll just send it if I need to talk to a beamed type unit and haven't done so in the last couple seconds. That will be something auto-magically done (as part of the above stuff I mentioned) so if/when more evidence comes to light of a better way, that can be used.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 9 1,188 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 38,365 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 4,472 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 108,423 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 6,273 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  How to obtain Beta versions? willsauter 3 1,011 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Last Post: willsauter
  Official 4.7 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 21 6,527 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread Dean Roddey 295 28,768 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM
  CQC hangs (latest beta) Bugman 7 2,049 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Bugman
  4.6 Official Beta Discussions Thread Dean Roddey 514 33,712 11-04-2014, 03:57 PM