Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread
I've got May 30th in the "how long until Dean posts a selfie" pool.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I've still got a lot of work to do. I'm not going to break out Magnum before it's ready.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I'm banging away on some experimental browser based client stuff, trying some things to see what I can come up with. As usual, if the browser or web is involved, it's not going to make it easy. But I've learned some important stuff over the last couple days and done a lot of hacking to get to a point where I can test some basic concepts.
Dean Roddey
I killed some serious numbers of brain cells today, but made some good progress. It's all still rough grade stuff, but moving in the right direction.
Dean Roddey
I've been making some false starts, but got a lot of work done on the new client stuff today. It's all fundamental plumbing stuff, but it'll make things a lot cleaner and more maintainable moving forward.
Dean Roddey
Still banging away on the new browser based client stuff, getting some core infrastructure in place. It's a good bit of up front work but it's going to save me so much trouble and make things so much more maintainable over time.

BTW, I have to give a shout out to this girl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymsb_4Z3uy0

I'd never heard of her before, Samantha Fish. She's sort of like Janice Joplin and SRV in one body. She's doing an old blues tune in the video above. She's not trying to just show off, so it starts off quite simple and she just grows it and grows it. By the end, it's monstrous. She's definitely got the blue genes.
Dean Roddey
OK, I got a a big chunk of plumbing stuff done now, so I can move on to the next step. Basically, what I'm looking at is, can I do a RIVA client in the browser, using Typescript and the HTML5 canvas. I did a good bit of exploration, and it looks reasonable so I'm moving forward with it.

Ultimately, if I can do that, it would take a lot of pressure off in that it would provide the equivalent of what we have now in a form that I can control and improve on. And we could drop the current RIVA server and the third party clients.

It's still not the ultimate goal, but it would mean that we could take a lot more time to get a full 'fat' client out, because we'd be back to having access to IV templates from non-Windows clients. We really want to create taht breaking room because things continue to percolate in the browser world, and there's promise of a real development environment becoming available that would be vaster better for us for a fat client project. But it's not ready yet. But it looks like it'll let us us .Net in a browser deliverable form. That would be a huge benefit.

So, anyhoo, I'm working on porting the existing RIVA client to the Web Server (using Websockets as the communications in this case), and with various improvements along the way, though not doing anything that would add a lot of time to the process beyond just what it takes to get a new RIVA client out there.

What I've been doing, to keep things sane, is defining the protocol in an XML format, and writing a little program that will generate code to both the C++ and TypeScript sides, to make it vastly easier and safer to have two different languages involved. It means I don't have to keep things in sync by hand basically. It's taken a little time up front, but it'll pay off big time over time. I've got it far enough along to have the C++ side code being generated. That Typescript side now will be fairly quick now that the basics are all in place and working.

Once I get that done, probably tomorrow, I can start hacking back in parts of the RIVA server. I'm shooting for just enough to prove or disprove the concept at the moment. So something that can handle text and color fills, just basic drawing capabilities. If I can get that working, it'll then be a matter of just bring over the rest of the graphics operations and figuring out how best to implement them in the HTML5 canvas world.
Dean Roddey
A few improvements to the Log Monitor, which I have been using a lot to try and find out why some of triggered events are not working properly.

1.  How do you Clear the Log?.  If you press the "Clear" Button the screen clears OK, but when you restart the Log Monitor, all the entries come back.
2.  For Triggered Events, "Message Text" shows the name of the event - Good.  But for Scheduled events, it there is no name only "Scheduled event completed successfully" so it is difficult to follow what is happening where there are a lot of events.
3.  If would help if you could scroll the screen up as a new event occurs so you can watch to see if stuff is happening.  I tried changing the order of the list so most recent are at the top, but this does not work as as soon as a new event arrives, the time order is automatically changed so you are left looking at the older events not the newer ones.

Sorry to be picky, but a debugging tool should really be very consistent and solid otherwise you don't know if the problem is the program or the tool.

PJG
In the Scheduled Event tab, the "Run At" field is missing for the "Every X Minutes, Hours and Days" options as in the pre-rev 5.0 software.  So events seem to depend on the time you actually save them, not  at a preset time such as the start of an hour.  One of the reasons why my irrigation stuff started to give problems when the hour rolled over from 23 to 0 during the night.

PJG
The scheduled event thing has been fixed. It's not the same as before, but effectively it lets you select the run time. Every X minutes doesn't, since that's such a short period. But every X hours lets you select the minute, and every X days lets you select the hour. See the followup releases sticky thread in the main support section. I've not officially posted it yet, since I'm waiting to accumulate more stuff.

I'll look into the log monitor and other stuff you mentioned.

As to the clearing thing, definitely the log monitor only clears its window. It's so you can know anything new that shows up has happened since then. But to actually flush the logs for real you have to do that through the Admin Intf. The log monitor doesn't require a login so it doesn't have the rights to do something like that. In the AI, it's one of the menu bar options. File -> Tools -> Flush Logs.

There's also of course the "/System/Explore Logs" tab, which lets you search the logs.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.3 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 103 5,919 Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Official 5.3 Release Thread Dean Roddey 0 419 10-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 13 2,744 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 58,038 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 6,837 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 157,208 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 7,593 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  How to obtain Beta versions? willsauter 3 1,588 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Last Post: willsauter
  Official 4.7 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 21 7,692 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread Dean Roddey 295 35,811 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM