Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread
I haven't quite got the code updated to take into account the stuff I was reading. But, most definitely I talked to the freaking thing during inclusion. I ask for information about modules during inclusion and that worked. Now maybe that's because the master had already beamed it in the processing of doing the inclusion and so it was already awake, I don't know. They stay away for some period of time after being beamed. But clearly I was able to talk to it, and securely as well, so if it doesn't work then it's got to be something about the Z-Stick not sending the beaming messages. I also checked that the Z-Stick reports beaming enabled, so presumably it is capable of doing it.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
How often does the lock you're using wake up to receive beaming messages? Maybe you're just not waiting long enough for the lock to wake up and accept the repeating beamed messages? I've read that some of these battery conserving devices only wake up very infrequently for potentially queued config updates (days between waking up was mentioned, although not specifically locks).
Beaming based devices wake up every 250ms or 1s. Non-beaming based devices that are battery powered are the ones you are thinking about. Those we can only talk to when they send us a wakeup notification.
Dean Roddey
Where does the CQC installation log live? I had a failed installation (it failed on backup) and it referred me to the log but doesn't say where it resides. It would be helpful if the error message gave the path.

The failure was simple to resolve, when CQC shutdown, CIDNameSrv & CIDLogSrv failed to fully exit. Killing them from the task manager was all it took.
Mark Stega
(09-08-2017, 07:07 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Beaming based devices wake up every 250ms or 1s. Non-beaming based devices that are battery powered are the ones you are thinking about. Those we can only talk to when they send us a wakeup notification.

Ah, I must have misunderstood.  I thought that you were only trying to get it working with a lock at this stage, and I'd assumed the lock was battery powered.
(09-08-2017, 10:00 AM)Mark Stega Wrote: Where does the CQC installation log live? I had a failed installation (it failed on backup) and it referred me to the log but doesn't say where it resides. It would be helpful if the error message gave the path.

The failure was simple to resolve, when CQC shutdown, CIDNameSrv & CIDLogSrv failed to fully exit. Killing them from the task manager was all it took.

The error message when the install fails does indicate where the log is. Maybe it was something way off the beaten path and it failed in a way that didn't display the standard install failure path, but otherwise it should tell you. Actually I was going to change it to just show you the log, or provide a button to see the log.
Dean Roddey
(09-08-2017, 10:18 AM)kjaerligkatt Wrote:
(09-08-2017, 07:07 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: Beaming based devices wake up every 250ms or 1s. Non-beaming based devices that are battery powered are the ones you are thinking about. Those we can only talk to when they send us a wakeup notification.

Ah, I must have misunderstood.  I thought that you were only trying to get it working with a lock at this stage, and I'd assumed the lock was battery powered.

The lock is battery powered, but it's a 'beamed' device, which means it wakes up and goes back to sleep either four times a second or once a second. Each time it wakes up it listens for a 'beam' being sent for it. If it sees that it will wake up up further and be available to talk to. They introduced this basically for locks, which generally need to be battery powered but also need to be available to control, i.e. they aren't just something like a motion sensor which only needs to wake up when it reports motion state changes.
Dean Roddey
You know much more about this than me, and have been trying to implement it - so sorry for the (possibly way off) comments ;-).

This wasn't how I understood beaming to operate. The way I read it, the lock sleeps for long periods and occasionally wakes up to see if it has a message. The beaming device (which is never battery, but is powered) stores messages that the lock isn't awake for, and repeatedly resends until the lock wakes up, and accepts the message.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Beaming
No, that's not how it works. There are two types of battery powered devices, non-listening and frequently listening. Non-listening can only be talked to occasionally when they send a wakeup notification. The driver will store outgoing messages for them and send them when it gets that wakeup.

Frequently listening devices are ones that support beaming. They have to be available all the time, so they can't work like non-listening devices. If you could only unlock your door once every half hour, that would be a problem. They do a fast wake up and listen/go back to sleep cycle. When another node wants to talk to one it sends out a 'beam' which it holds for at least one wakeup cycle time of the target. If the target sees it, he response that he's awake, and then the message can be sent.
Dean Roddey
The message I got does not have the path. Try this:

* Start the CQC installer and run to where it has stopped CQC and gives you the option of backing up.
* Presuming that CQC shut correctly, go to the admin tool -> services and start CQC
* Choose the backup button
* The backup fails and you get a popup with a title of "Backup CQC Installation" and text of "The backup operation did not complete successfully. See the install log.". There is no path (See the attached png).

Attached Files
.png   CQCInst_2017-09-08_17-33-08.png (Size: 4.13 KB / Downloads: 2)
Mark Stega

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 9 1,188 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 453 38,366 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 4,472 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 108,425 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 6,273 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  How to obtain Beta versions? willsauter 3 1,011 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Last Post: willsauter
  Official 4.7 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 21 6,527 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread Dean Roddey 295 28,770 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM
  CQC hangs (latest beta) Bugman 7 2,049 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Bugman
  4.6 Official Beta Discussions Thread Dean Roddey 514 33,712 11-04-2014, 03:57 PM