Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone try a multi-site HA install using a VPN?
Well, it's not really that. Just way to share selected fields across two systems. The remote system would see it all as one large virtual device.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Yes, that would do the trick. Preferably an encrypted connection. In the case of using it in the car; it's nice to not need a VPN do to the added complexity and latency.

Ill be the first to buy a license for a car the second there is something to test. I know I'm only one customer but seriously how many of them know CQC works in cars, offices, boats, and airplanes too Smile

znelbok - you can use current virtualisation techniques to have redundant servers. Or at least fast fail-over. Not that I would be against CQC being able to do it on it's own. I think that's a little out of the project scope though.
I too am interested in getting CQC going in a car. A TLS connection to the server would be adequate - a VPN would be overkill and add more complexity IMO.

The old model of master server and servers actually worked well for something like this where the car only needed a server, but now the master server is the only location that drivers are loaded so it means two CQC MS are needed. The advantage is that if you cant contact the MS the car CQC still works.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
Oh, that's not true. The *configuration* for drivers is on the master server. But you can still have multiple servers that load the actual drivers.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Here is a photo of it working with a VPN and a 4G modem. It was clunky and a pain to reconnect. It did work. 

I used it to open the garage door on my way home for a few months. Good for keeping an eye on my dog too..  

Multi site HA in action Smile

[Image: FyEsLJw.jpg]
what was the screen and computer behind all this?

I have been tinkering with a couple of raspberry Pi's lately and I recon they would be very suitable for a car - just can't get CQC on it.

Did you have an OBDII connection and what else was connected to CQC from the car?
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
I'm totally on board with this too. I already have two licenses (one for my house and one for my parents house) so it would be easy for me to test. It would be great to be able to connect the two systems together!
Brian

"Really dear, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Besides, look at what it does now...."
I think my wife is getting a little tired of hearing this :-)
(07-29-2017, 04:39 PM)znelbok Wrote: what was the screen and computer behind all this?

I have been tinkering with a couple of raspberry Pi's lately and I recon they would be very suitable for a car - just can't get CQC on it.

Did you have an OBDII connection and what else was connected to CQC from the car?

It's a Intel NUC with an i5 and an SSD. Fun fact, including the screen, PSU, and NUC the total current draw at 12v was under an amp.

I used a JoyCon unit to read the iBUS in the BMW. This allows steering wheel control of volume and transport on the computer . 

With a CQC server in the car I would take over remote engine start, alarm arm/disarm, door lock/unlock and maybe window control. 

No I didn't use OBDII.. maybe in the future. Ha, have the house tell you your son just hit 7500RPM in the family wagon Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CQC fresh install kfly 12 648 10-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Multi media solutions. Ron Haley 14 2,072 12-06-2016, 12:27 PM
  CQC install setup question ellisr63 3 1,240 05-03-2014, 06:03 AM
  Help with hp5700 install robolo 15 2,941 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Last Post: zaccari
  fresh windows install? rtarver 3 824 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  How to install CQCDrvPack? RichardU 2 1,964 08-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Last Post: RichardU
  Problem with Repository when Doing Customized Install kblagron 7 1,882 05-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Help with Driver Install IV13 11 1,662 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  New install - Need help, Aprilaire 8870 driver not working SpeedDemon 2 1,260 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  Windows 7 64 bit new install fails scott 11 2,053 01-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Last Post: scott