Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone try a multi-site HA install using a VPN?
Just realized I could set up a site-to-site VPN between my place in SoCal and my place in NorCal if I put a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter in SoCal instead of some generic consumer level one. Anyone have experience with site-to-site VPNs?

IE: I have 
- 192.168.0.* and 192.168.1.* in NorCal. If I setup 
- 192.168.2.* in SoCal and create a site-to-site VPN, I could use my CQC Master Server in NorCal to monitor my devices down south. I wouldn't even need a PC or another CQC license in the SoCal location.

I'd need to confirm CQC works fine controlling 2 ISYs (one on NorCal subnet, one on SoCal subnet) and 2 Hue (also different subnets).

I wonder how the Amazon Echo would do with 2 Hue, each on different subnets. I'd need to qualify the names, ie "Alexa, turn off the South Kitchen light".

I realize this is added complexity, but otherwise I'd have to spend $200 on a baby PC and $200 on a Bronze CQC license just to do HA for 10 months (remaining length of contract). Attempting to avoid that cost since I won't need either in a year.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I tried doing this using a 4g modem and a site to site VPN installed in a car. It did work.

Devices in the car were iTunes, and a BARIX device, temp sensor, remote start, windows etc.. Then ran IV from a touch screen in the dash of the car with transport control for iTunes, cameras from the house, garage door control, and a few others. IV was slow to connect and didn't reconnect when returning the machine from sleep.

In a perfect world I would prefer two separate CQC ecosystems that would communicate with each other over an encrypted link. I would like to connect a car, a boat, and an office. Three CQC systems dancing harmony. Three licenses Dean! Just sayin Smile
Interesting. There is value in me having two different setups, might try that.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
Technically the license is for a single location. And of course each can operate separately. The better way might be a driver that exposed the information you wanted from the other system. That wouldn't be terribly hard for us to provide I guess. A server that you could run that would accept the connection from the remote driver, which you tell the driver fields you want to expose, and the driver that would connect to it and make those fields available locally as a big virtual device.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I don't think the echo will work on a different subnet than the Philips Hue. The way the echo discovers the Hue is via SSDP which uses multicast. And multicast packets won't get past the router. So they will need to be on the same subnet.
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
you could hack two systems together. Send a HTTP/IP Trigger request to one system and the action against it send the reply back to the other system via the same driver. Not pretty. A macro could be used to collect all the driver fields needed and put them all into a variable driver if you wanted to collate them all together.

Ideally a driver that has fields that are exposed to an external user (XML/RIVA?).

If something needed to be done from scratch it would be good to see something that is already standardized (say OPC) that would open it up even further.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home
(04-29-2017, 12:39 PM)IVB Wrote: Just realized I could set up a site-to-site VPN between my place in SoCal and my place in NorCal if I put a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter in SoCal instead of some generic consumer level one. Anyone have experience with site-to-site VPNs?

IE: I have 
- 192.168.0.* and 192.168.1.* in NorCal. If I setup 
- 192.168.2.* in SoCal and create a site-to-site VPN, I could use my CQC Master Server in NorCal to monitor my devices down south. I wouldn't even need a PC or another CQC license in the SoCal location.

I'd need to confirm CQC works fine controlling 2 ISYs (one on NorCal subnet, one on SoCal subnet) and 2 Hue (also different subnets).

I wonder how the Amazon Echo would do with 2 Hue, each on different subnets. I'd need to qualify the names, ie "Alexa, turn off the South Kitchen light".

I realize this is added complexity, but otherwise I'd have to spend $200 on a baby PC and $200 on a Bronze CQC license just to do HA for 10 months (remaining length of contract). Attempting to avoid that cost since I won't need either in a year.

Nah, don't overthink.  Echo will work with Hue on the local subnet, so while you might need 2 Amazon accounts, you could just put one in NorCal and one in SoCal.  The 'kitchen' light would be relative to your physical location.

I would build the VPN tunnel, and have the master server connect to the ISY and Hue bridge in SoCal (via direct IP).  If you want to control devices from Alexa in both sites, you could just do HTTP triggers and connect your IFTTT account to each Echo.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G
Dean, That is exactly what I was thinking. Could it be done in the current variables driver?

Do it! Ill revisit running CQC in my car again. Then post a video or two Smile
It would require a special server and a special driver to talk to it. That would be a good bit of work, so I can't do it right now but I'll put it on the list.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
If you are going to do that then you should look into creating the option for redundant servers.
Mykel Koblenz
Illawarra Smart Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Multi media solutions. Ron Haley 14 1,844 12-06-2016, 12:27 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  CQC install setup question ellisr63 3 1,150 05-03-2014, 06:03 AM
  Help with hp5700 install robolo 15 2,816 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM
Last Post: zaccari
  fresh windows install? rtarver 3 725 03-14-2013, 10:10 AM
  How to install CQCDrvPack? RichardU 2 1,888 08-26-2011, 08:49 AM
Last Post: RichardU
  Problem with Repository when Doing Customized Install kblagron 7 1,758 05-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Last Post: kblagron
  Help with Driver Install IV13 11 1,525 03-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  New install - Need help, Aprilaire 8870 driver not working SpeedDemon 2 1,175 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM
Last Post: SpeedDemon
  Windows 7 64 bit new install fails scott 11 1,926 01-10-2011, 02:59 AM
Last Post: scott
  tried to install, message says frijoli 4 1,040 12-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Last Post: frijoli