Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Announcing CQCVoice - CQC's All Local Voice Control System
(04-22-2017, 10:04 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: OK, once you've upgraded to 916 let me know and I can set you up with the audio recording.

Hi Dean.  I'm on 918 now.  Can I get the audio recording .dll for that?
Email me at support at our domain.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I sent it early today. Just following up here in case it gets whacked by some hall monitor along the way since it's a DLL inside a zip file.
Dean Roddey
OK got the file thanks.
BTW, besides just listening to make sure there's no distortion, dropouts, intrusions of Voice talking to itself and all that, also check the levels on the recorded content to see what you are getting. If the player doesn't show it, bring up the Windows mixer.
Dean Roddey
Has anyone used Acoustic Magic with CQC? I'm tempted to get one for the new workweek apartment even though it'll be overkill, as it'll be useful when I shut that down and find a local job again.
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
I don't think anyone has yet, but it would be a good test, to see how well a higher end mic array works. Of course you won't have a Kinect to compare it to, but if it works really well, that will be a good sign.
Dean Roddey
Well, actually I do have a Kinect that will be sitting 4 feet from it, but it's hooked up to my xBone and it looks like a proprietary adapter. (Is there a way to convert that to a regular USB?)
------------------------------------
Devices I can't stand and wish I could replace: SmartThings, Hue, Concerto, VRUSB
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
If it's a Kinect for XBox One, then there is an adaptor you can buy that turns it into a USB connection.

https://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Kinect-Adapt...sb+adapter
Dean Roddey
(05-04-2017, 09:29 AM)Dean Roddey Wrote: BTW, besides just listening to make sure there's no distortion, dropouts, intrusions of Voice talking to itself and all that, also check the levels on the recorded content to see what you are getting. If the player doesn't show it, bring up the Windows mixer.

I had a chance to try this out.  I have also been playing with a second Microphone array that is part of my Dell Monitor.  Not sure the quality of it, but it works nearly as well as the Kinect seems to.  Here's what I have observed:

- The Kinect has very clear audio pickup, no noise or distortion. It sounds excellent.  This is echoed by people I have talked to on Skype using it.  The Del Mic has a bit of a hum and is made worse by using loudness mic settings.  
- Both work very well with CQC voice if I am within 5ish feet of the mics. Recognition is fantastic and the mic turns on/off quite timely now without picking up responses from the speakers.
- The Kinect seems a bit better at a distance, but only marginally.
- Anything over about 12-15+ft is hit or miss (and room size dependent), some words work well while others just don't get picked up or always get into a clarification loop.  
- When I listen to the .Wav files. everything sounds very clear and audible to me regardless of distance, but of course I have the ability to turn my playback volume up a bit. 
- On the recordings I can certainly tell when I am close vs far away, but as a human I have no trouble telling what was said at a distance of 20+feet.  The speech recognition engine on the other hand struggles past 12-15 ft.  (This is made worse when I am in one of our larger open to above areas in the house vs the basement with low ceiling and acoustical tiles.)
- when I looked at the windows mixer, the levels are fairly faint... green bar peaks at maybe 25% of the volume line and even lower when far back.
- I also don't have a voice that carries well... so others may have better luck.  Seems to be several variables that could make this better or worse for different voices/environments.

So, I am satisfied that at least there seems to not be any feedback or other audio issues going. My expectations of talking way across a room are maybe a bit too high for the technology.   It's just a gain thing I think and Signal to Noise ratio as distance increases.  It sure would be interesting to see what a very expensive mic would do.  Somehow I don't think it would be a lot better, but who knows. We'd almost need several mics distributed across the ceiling to get to Utopia like the uber expensive corporate tele-presence rooms.  

If there is something you think you can do to tune this for larger distances let me know and I can test more, otherwise I think it's good, just with distance limitations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Throwing another (sort of hybrid) voice control option out there Dean Roddey 25 1,140 09-12-2017, 07:49 PM
Last Post: potts.mike
  Control of Epson Projector Using IR Jnetto 6 440 08-08-2017, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Jnetto
  doing math on local vars indygreg 6 566 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM
Last Post: indygreg
  SOLVED: Media System Config Issue agarden 3 588 04-29-2017, 07:25 AM
Last Post: agarden
  System migration pjgregory 2 574 02-19-2017, 05:46 AM
Last Post: pjgregory
  System slowly dying Ron Haley 3 830 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Older system setup znelbok 5 987 11-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Upgrade to 5.0.1: Local config object store Jnetto 2 636 11-20-2016, 06:12 PM
  Any way to control Wolf and Subzero brand appliances ghurty 8 1,079 06-29-2016, 06:53 PM
Last Post: znelbok
  Problem with System Volume? pjgregory 10 1,890 05-13-2016, 10:53 AM