Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New room config based HTML client
Dean, should radiora be seen as a lighting solution? In admin interface nothing listed under defined lights..
If you are running the V2 driver. The room config stuff can only work in terms of V2 drivers, because they are the only ones standardized enough for it. So I'm guessing maybe you are running the V1 RA2 driver? Or maybe the original RA driver? That one doesn't have a V2 version.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I would like to try it but my lighting driver is currently V1. Ill have to wait until we don't have to involve the Auto-Room config and V1 driver restriction.
Anybody else get a chance to play with this guy?
Dean Roddey
Should this support media?
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
That will likely be the last thing added to it, but ultimately it should be able to support media in some way. It may just be a text based browser or something like that, I'm not sure. It depends on what is practical. Obviously transport control, volume, mute, and current playlist control should be no problem.
Dean Roddey
Gotcha, I can confirm lights and weather work. If you could just add some padding under the selector at the bottom so it's not the last line I think it would be pretty good.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
What selector are we talking about? Does the dimmer slider work for you? It should show the dimmer level as color and you should be able to touch, drag and release to set the dimmer level.
Dean Roddey
I have installed this also and can confirm that RadioRA2, Elk, and Wunderground Weather works as described.

If you described earlier a vision about what direction the HTML client is heading, I missed it. Can you direct me where it is?
If you did not, I would like to suggest that you define at least in big strokes how you envision this when all is set and done?

In the past I played with the template auto-generator, defined some rooms and generated the interface. What I missed or at least did not take note is how to use some features which would work better on an overall level, such as weather, or security.
To me, and looking at the published interfaces others shared on this forum suggest that most have a main menu with categories and from there one can pick. Some categories stay at high (ie. house) level, others may drill down a (ie. defined room) level.

This brings me, however, to the issue I see with this overall direction: if the HTML client and auto-generator will only work with V2 drivers, it is doomed and likely never work for me.
Currently have 21 drivers loaded on my system, and only Elk, Nuvo GC, RadioRa2 and Weather are V2  There are no V2 for the others and as many are not even shipped drivers, it will be long if ever before a V2 driver will be available. As such I cannot do thermostat, energy monitoring, temp/humidity/environment per room, remotes, music players, receivers, media center computers, network, UPS to name a few.

I strongly believe that automation or the smarts (boy I hate this word) of an automation system is actually the logic server part and the interface to interact with the system is secondary and does not even need be visible. I know that I can make a completely custom interface to meet all my needs, but that is dependent on a Windows computer to run the native client. The only Windows in my home is the one running CQC, besides a few VM which I use to access a client.

I had hoped that when a HTML client becomes available, I will be more like many web based UIs. I give an example here without any consideration to the system this comes from. Look at the interface openhab 2 is serving up. For example 

[Image: screenshot-1-full.png]
or 
[Image: screenshot-2-full.png]

Will we ever get here?

PS: sorry for the long winded post and the tone, the glass today is half empty...
This particular one is specifically just to support the room configuration system. There are a couple reasons for that. For one, it's a digestible chunk to bite off wrt to doing a reasonably serious application in this new (for me) environment, which is Typescript and WebSockets and digging more into customizing visual elements and such. The other is that we want to have a scenario where a new user can basically do this:

1. Install CQC
2. Install drivers for core stuff
3. Do the room configuration
4. Auto-generate user interfaces
5. Get them automatically for the HTML client
6. Automatically get nice voice control (using the new Kinect based stuff that's under way.)

I don't care a lot about how it looks, so I'm happy to make it look how folks would prefer. I was hoping though to be something more interesting and aesthetic than the ones you show above. To me, that's like the McDonald's of UIs. Though, if that's what folks want, I have no problems whatsoever doing that.

Though that needs to be decided now, not after putting in a lot more work in the current direction.

Longer term, based on the experience gained with this room config based client, we can look at something more open ended.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some basic docs on the WebRIVA client Dean Roddey 2 534 08-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  HTML5 client use case kfly 4 944 06-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Last Post: lleo
  System Config Interface need DaveB 5 1,113 04-12-2017, 02:29 AM
Last Post: DaveB
  client driver error after upgrade to 4.8.1 batwater 1 1,092 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM
  Error when trying to use Room Config - Auto Gen jokermac 4 1,650 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM
  RIVA Server and Client DaveB 1 915 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  Trouble Upgrading Client to v4.1.901 sic0048 7 1,610 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Installation gives me no Admin client. beelzerob 9 2,374 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM