Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New room config based HTML client
I've just posted a 5.0.8 beta drop. The big thing in this one is an early first look at our new HTML client. This one is not an IV replacement, it's a fixed interface client based around the system/room configuration data. So it just understands that stuff and exposes it. I'll post this in the official beta thread of course, but here it is a well:

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloa..._5_0_8.exe

I've created this separate thread for discussion of this guy, to keep it out of the general 5.1 beta discussion thread, since this is really early stuff and much to most of the discussion here will end up irrelevant before long I would imagine. Once it's further along I'll whack this thread and we'll move the discussion to the general 5.1 beta discussion thread.

So, important things to consider:

1. It's a licensed component, so you'll need to hit me up for a new license that includes it. It's available to all system tiers.
2. It's using Websockets and talking to our web server. So, you have to have the web server installed somewhere. It's always installed on the master server in 5.x, but you don't have to use that one for this client. You could install another instance elsewhere if you want. It can be anywhere, and you can have multiples of them. Each client just connects to the one he wants.
3. The communications completely unencrypted, including the login info. So, even if you are using it within your own local network, it would be a good thing to install a security certificate. You don't have to register your certificate if it's just for use on your local network, so you can generate a certificate for yourself and install it on the machine where our web server is, and tell our web server to use it. Once you have installed the certificate correctly, all of the communications will be encrypted.
4. If you want to use it from outside of your house, then absolutely should get a certificate from a well known certificate authority (CA.) That means you have to have a DNS name that maps to your home network. The easiest way is to use one of the dynamic DNS type companies who will let you register a domain name and just keep it up to date with whatever your router's current public IP address is. Many routers have built in support for these types of services and will automatically update the server if your ISP assigns you a new IP at some point (which can happen if you don't have a static IP from your ISP.)
5. There's a main page that offers you icons for the major functional sections (weather, lights, security, etc...) They stake you a page for that function. Click the CQSL logo at the top to get back to the main page.
6. For now, this preview only deals with lights and weather. It will show a security icon if you have security stuff configured in your room config, but it will just fail if you click it.

Since this is early days and I'm the only one who has used it, and only on Chrome and Edge so far, I'm sure there are going to be issues, which is the point of this preview, to find those and fix them before getting to far along where it will be more painful.

In order to run the application, in your browser you will provide a URL like one of these, depending on if you are using a certificate or not:

http://[cqcwebsrv]/CQSL/RmCfgCl/index.html

https://[cqcwebsrv]/CQSL/RmCfgCl/index.html

where [cqcwebsrv] is the name of your CQC web server (or if doing this from outside your home, it's your dynamic domain name.

If your web server is not on port 80, then it will be like this (just doing http for the rest of the examples):

http://[cqcwebsrv]:xxxx/CQSL/RmCfgCl/index.html?tarPort=xxxx

where xxxx is the port number. You have to provide it both in the main URL, and in a tarPort= query parameter. The latter is what is going to be used to open the web socket connection, while the former is what is used to to make the initial HTTP connection. In general they would always be the same, but there are two options because they might not be in some special cases moving forward.

If all is well, you'll get the logon screen. Enter your user name and password and hit the logon button. If you have not updated your license, you'll get an error that you aren't licensed for this component. There are some other errors, such as you haven't created any room config, or there are no rooms configured in the room config. 

If it works, you'll go to the main selection screen, where you can select lights or weather. At the bottom of the page is a clock and a connection status. In between is a room selector dropdown. On Chrome this also correctly shows the currently loaded room. On Edge it's not and I've not looked into why. If you want to select another room just drop down the list and select it. It will load and you'll go back to the main screen.

If you lose the connection, it will automatically start trying to reconnect, and will block any attempts to interact with the application until it does so. As long as the room data hasn't changed, once it reconnects, you'll just stay on whatever page you were on. If the room config has changed, it will take you back to the main screen.

There are some other optional query parameters:

doSecure=Yes
This is says that you want the web socket connection to be secure, even if the original HTTP connection is not. But generally you would just use https:/ for the initial URL, and that will force the use of wss:/ for the web socket connection as well. 

initRoom=xxxx
Let's you select an initial room by name. If not, one will be selected by default.

Debug=Yes
Turns on extra debugging in the web server for this session, to help diagnose issues.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
(reserved)
Dean Roddey
(reserved 2)
Dean Roddey
So I upgraded to test out the new HTML client. I went through the SystemCfg to configure the room-based thing, but get errors:

Security - could not query the security areas list (my Elk, driver is connected, seems to register a door open/close no issues)
Weather - no drivers of the required type were found (weather driver is connected and working)

Lighting (Hue) and HVAC (Nest) both worked without issue.

Am I doing something wrong? I've never used the room configurator thing before.

edit: in an effort to just test it with the lighting, i went ahead and hit the URL from above and get an Error 400: Error Message: Your system is not licensed for this component. i have Unobtanium, and the web server is installed and working (i serve up jpg images from my dropcams).
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Caseta / Netatmo / Brultech in testing
You are using our V2 compliant ElkM1 and weather drivers? You aren't using some modified older version or something like that, are you?

As mentioned above, it's a newly created licensed component, so nobody's license includes it right now. You'll have to hit me up for a new license that includes this component.
Dean Roddey
im using Elk v2.2 and Wunderground/Weather v1.3.

ok, i got the license thing confused with the web server. ill shoot an email over.
do the needful ...
Hue | Sonos | Harmony | Elk M1G // Caseta / Netatmo / Brultech in testing
Is the Weather Underground the V2 version? There are two of them, one is V1 and the other is V2. Right click on the driver in the browser tree and select Info to see the information about it. See if it says it is the V2 driver.
Dean Roddey
I got the room config setup and it works in the regular IV but the HTML Viewer doesnt open them. It shows Charmed Quark Systems at the top, the time in the bottom left and Connecting in the bottom right.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|
It's trying to connect, which means your URL isn't correct. What URL did you use? Is your CQC web server on port 80? If not, you have to indicate that in both places as in my example above.
Dean Roddey
That was it it's working in chrome and on my iPhone. It's not formatting very iPhone friendly but you can scroll around and use it. Also the level graphic for the dimmers doesn't seem to be updating.
|Z-Wave|Sonos|Tivo|Hue|Plex|Roku|MyMovies|Echo|
Nest|Harmony|Neeo|LG TV|Smarthings|

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Some basic docs on the WebRIVA client Dean Roddey 2 558 08-07-2017, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  HTML5 client use case kfly 4 994 06-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Last Post: lleo
  System Config Interface need DaveB 5 1,145 04-12-2017, 02:29 AM
Last Post: DaveB
  client driver error after upgrade to 4.8.1 batwater 1 1,096 12-31-2015, 11:39 AM
  Error when trying to use Room Config - Auto Gen jokermac 4 1,660 04-19-2013, 06:46 PM
  RIVA Server and Client DaveB 1 932 02-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Last Post: DaveB
  Trouble Upgrading Client to v4.1.901 sic0048 7 1,633 03-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Last Post: sic0048
  Installation gives me no Admin client. beelzerob 9 2,406 05-21-2008, 10:35 AM