Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official 5.1 Beta Discussion Thread
OK, I think I have the re-connection logic working pretty well. If the connection is lost, it starts trying to reconnect. Once it connects, if you have already logged in, then it will try to log back in using those credentials automatically. If that works, and the room data hasn't changed, then you are just back where you were and nothing changed, so it doesn't have to go back to any login screen or anything.

If the login with previous credentials fails, it goes back to the login screen. If the login works but the room data has changed, it goes back to the main section selection screen.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Just curious, what tools are you doing your HTML5 development in? I would like to start exploring HTML5 web development...
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
You know me, it's all just custom code. So it's a man and his text editor. I am writing it in Typescript. I'm using MS's Code IDE actually, which is a little fancy by my standards, and the little command line compiler to compile it to javascript.

But it's basically just hand written typescript, CSS and HTML, and not a lot of HTML. It uses the new Templates thing, where you can define chunks of HTML that aren't displayed, they are just there to use in your code. So there's just one HTML file, and I grab template chunks and generate them on the fly as required.
Dean Roddey
So can we expect an IOS client(one for iphones and one for ipads) similar to the client available today?
To the extent it's possible. HTML isn't the same as native development. Portability comes at some cost, and the IV is at the opposite end of that spectrum making full use of all of the power of Windows. So it won't be surprising if some things can't really be handled in a portable HTML client, though it's possible that it can do as well as the RIVA clients do today.

It's clearly not possible for us to take on full featured native clients for iOS and Android. We could possibly take on an Android one, but it would be at the expense of any iOS client, which isn't practical. So something portable has to be done, and HTML is (unfortunately) the only option these days.
Dean Roddey
So if it's not a client(app) what form will it take on the device itself?

Not a browser window?
Yeh, it will be HTML based, so it will run in a browser. You can run it full screen of course, so it doesn't have to look like it's running in a browser. If you full screen it, there's no browser bars or title bar or menu or anything. It's just the content of whatever you are viewing.
Dean Roddey
Dean Roddey Wrote:You know me, it's all just custom code. So it's a man and his text editor. I am writing it in Typescript. I'm using MS's Code IDE actually, which is a little fancy by my standards, and the little command line compiler to compile it to javascript.

But it's basically just hand written typescript, CSS and HTML, and not a lot of HTML. It uses the new Templates thing, where you can define chunks of HTML that aren't displayed, they are just there to use in your code. So there's just one HTML file, and I grab template chunks and generate them on the fly as required.

Ah well, I was hoping for some magic. That's the way I was doing it playing around too. Don't feel bad, I sat in a room of developers to talk about Ansible/Python and they asked what I was using for my IDE and I said "nano". :-)
Wuench
My Home Theater/Automation Website

[THREAD=5957]BlueGlass CQC Config[/THREAD]
[THREAD=10624]Wuench's CQC Drivers[/THREAD]
For me, I want it to be fast and light. And of course part of this exercise is to learn the limits of the tools so as to be able to better judge the realities of the ultimate, generalized client.

You know, ultimately it's within the realm of reason that it might be a RIVA client of sorts as well. The problem really isn't in RIVA per se. It's that it was never able to evolve because the guys doing the third party clients wouldn't have kept up. Many to most of the shortcomings it has could be gotten rid of I think. And, if I'm doing both sides of it, then that would be more practical. And of course the upside is huge, of only having one designer and one set of templates and only having to understand how to draw widgets in once place (the RIVA clients don't know, they are just told what graphical operations to do.)

OTOH, having a thick client has a lot of advantages as well, but with the enormous disadvantages of two designers/sets of templates, and twice the work to support every type of widget.
Dean Roddey
I'm almost there for a first HTML client preview release. I got to the point tonight of handling setting the level for dimmers. It turns out that though HTML5 defines a 'range' input object, which probably will be a dimmer in most modern browsers, it's sort of a joke in terms of any sort of cross platform portability. I'll probably have to come up with something of my own to make it reasonable. And that'll probably end up being easier.

But, other than that it's looking pretty nice, at least for the lighting and weather that are currently supported. If I can work out something for setting levels, I'll get dimmer and color support in place and then I can get a new drop out for you guys to try it out.
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official 5.2 Beta Discussion Thread Dean Roddey 196 10,094 6 hours ago
Last Post: Dean Roddey
  Official 5.2 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 9 1,174 09-14-2017, 05:49 PM
  Official 5.1 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 28 4,448 05-12-2017, 05:44 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Discussions Dean Roddey 2,019 108,132 11-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  Official 5.0 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 15 6,259 11-01-2016, 10:32 AM
  How to obtain Beta versions? willsauter 3 1,000 07-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Last Post: willsauter
  Official 4.7 Beta Release Thread Dean Roddey 21 6,509 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
  Official 4.7 Beta discussion thread Dean Roddey 295 28,710 04-23-2015, 04:19 PM
  CQC hangs (latest beta) Bugman 7 2,039 11-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Bugman
  4.6 Official Beta Discussions Thread Dean Roddey 514 33,638 11-04-2014, 03:57 PM