Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.0 Followup Releases
Whew, I've converted slash written so much new HTML help content today that I'm going cross-eyed. I think I'm trying to avoid making more videos because it's so painful. Oh well, this stuff needs to be done as well, but I gotta get back to videos tomorrow.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Dean Roddey Wrote:[*]Update the Media List Browser widget so that, when browsing music, the top level list is artist, and not category (genre.) For movies the top level is still categories.
[/list]

Is this optional or a fixed change? All my music is organized as genre/artist/album. So I pick the type of music I want to listen to first, then the artist (composer), then the album. Does the new scheme mean that Bach is mixed with BeachBoys or Brubeck and then I have to sort out Classical, Rock or Jazz later? That's neither logical nor sensible.

Why the change?

PJG
Keep in mind this is the text based one, not the CAB. The CAB still works as it always has. I changed it because no one seemed to be using the list based one due to the fact that everyone wanted to browse by artist for music, since apparently that's how most music player devices that use this sort of list based scheme do it and that's what everyone is used to.

At least for the moment, it's a fixed change. If I really had to I could allow one or the other to be supported, via configuration, at the cost a lot more complexity.
Dean Roddey
So today and yesterday have been mostly infrastructure days, getting my VMs caught up on the big updates, which took quite a while, and getting the latest ElkRP installed on one of those, to get rid of another dependency of my old Win7 machine (but avoid cramming my main, real, machine with lots of stuff like the old machine was.) And I got some new functionality added to the Elk V2 driver.

And I spent more time, as I have repeatedly done, wrestling with issues with Windows Update under Win7. It seems like every machine I've had for a while now has gotten into this scenario where Windows Update just runs wild and eats up CPU forever and never stops. My old Vista machine did, and my old real Win7 machine did, and now my Win7 VM is doing it. It's been running now for maybe five or six hours, first eating up 50% percent of the VM's CPU, and now it's pegged completely and the memory has gone up almost a GB.

On the old machine eventually I got the most recent update agent installed and it got happy. I did that on the VM but it's seeming not to help. I don't remember if the old one ran this long and hard after the new agent was installed but I don't think so. But this isn't just the 'thread stuck in a loop' problem that I was seeming before, which will eat exactly one core and never deviate. So maybe it's actually doing something meaningful and will finish at some point.

It's pretty ridiculous now much time I've wasted over the last year'ish on trying to get this issue solved. I never did on the Vista machine, first just turning off updates so I could use the machine, and eventually just writing it off. Then I spent many hours on the Win7 machine to get it happy again.
Dean Roddey
Well, the CPU is still pegged but it started to very slowly download updates. So hopefully in the morning it'll be done and I can bootstrap myself up out of the problem.
Dean Roddey
I put up a 5.0.3 just to deal with an immediate issue. The one and only encrypted driver, the old C-Bus driver, had an issue loading, due to an old problem that caused the packaging not to be completely right. So I had to adjust for that. It also includes the keypress driver User Action triggers for the V2 Elk driver that I already had done.

http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/Downloa..._5_0_3.exe
  • Add support for keypad button press driven user actions to the V2 Elk driver.
  • There is a potential issue with encrypted drivers. There's only one, the old CBus driver, but it may not load correctly because of an old issue that could make the packaging not quite right. So account for that possibility.

Not really official yet, since there's not enough to warrant one. But just for those folks affected or who might want to use the new Elk driver stuff.
Dean Roddey
OK, I just committed my code to GIT. So the VC adventure has begun. My only concern with it is that the mind is a powerful weapon, but it's often pointing in the wrong direction. I doubt I'll completely trust any changes to it for a while, backing up the working code separately as I have always, in parallel with backing up the repository itself, so that if I do something stupid I can recover.

But, long term, this should make it easier for me to track changes and find out when they happened, or get back to specific configurations if needed.
Dean Roddey
Does this mean that up to this point, you weren't using any kind of revision control? If so, that's pretty amazing given what I assume is a very large code base.
Yeh, it was all just by hand up till now. It's up in the 900K lines of code range currently. I would have hit a million by now but 5.1, though it added a lot of new stuff, also threw away a lot of stuff (mostly all of my custom windows which were replaced with wrapped versions of the standard ones.) So it sort of stayed around the same size, roughtly.
Dean Roddey
pjgregory Wrote:Is this optional or a fixed change? All my music is organized as genre/artist/album. So I pick the type of music I want to listen to first, then the artist (composer), then the album. Does the new scheme mean that Bach is mixed with BeachBoys or Brubeck and then I have to sort out Classical, Rock or Jazz later? That's neither logical nor sensible.

Why the change?

PJG

You never did say if you were using the text based browser, or if you just thought I was referring to the CAB (which was not affected)?
Dean Roddey

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old pre-3.4 beta releases thread. Dean Roddey 31 7,729 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey