Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5.0 Followup Releases
fwiw, I just found a minor little bug of sorts in V5.0.1...
well, maybe more of a feature request?
so, I have not updated CQC on my desktop in a long time, as I only use the desktop to play with CQC, not actually use CQC per se...
the last time I installed CQC on my desktop the Master Server was 192.168.1.80... it really hasn't been that for a long time...
so I install 5.0.1, it picks up the old version and we just do the upgrade...
but it never actually checks to see if it can talk to the MS... which it could not of done since the MS is now a VM, and a different IP..
and oddly enough, if a CQC client is pointing at a non existent MS, it does not work as well as one might hope...

anyway, the feature request would be some way to just do an "upgrade" and at least have it check to see if the MS is there, or some way to point it to a new MS...

sure you can just do a "fresh" install, but the "upgrade" option is so much simpler...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
Are you using the IP address when you set up the client? Generally it would be better to use the host name and give any servers static IPs.

But, anyhoo, if you moved the MS that would still be the same issue just by name instead of by IP. I thought it did try to connect, but maybe not. You aren't using a shortcut you copied to the desktop or something are you? The installer doesn't know those are there and won't update them. If the old MS address is used still in the start menu, then clearly it didn't realize it had changed which means it couldn't have checked it.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
I was just using IP address the last time I installed CQC on my desktop.
Switched to using the server name once I moved my MS to the VM.
Just never updated the desktop.
No short cuts or anything like that.
Worst case the install should at least fail if it can't find the MS... But it doesn't...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
What about interfacing something like this to CQC ;
http://www.foreui.com/
We'd need to access driver info, interface with other elements. However, it would solve the html5 gui development.
That looks more like a prototyping tool than something for creating real user UIs.

Of course there are tools that can do that sort of thing. But they raise a couple really big issues:

1. You probably won't get access to all of the CQC information from within the tool, so it becomes a much different sort of situation. Maybe a particular tool provides a means to inject that sort of interactive access to information into its designer, I dunno. If not, then you lose the huge benefits that our designer provides you, and you'd quickly come to appreciate ours a lot more.

2. There's also the issue that we are right back again dependent on a third party for a key aspect of our system. Of course a general purpose commercial product dependency isn't as bad a bespoke, non-commercial product dependency, but still.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Nice if we could find something open source.
Dean Roddey Wrote:The text in the section where you download the installer now shows the version you are going to download.

Hi Dean, I just went looking for the latest version to download and I can't find it on the web site... Where do we have to navigate to find the text mentioned above?

I went through purchase and still didn't see it.

thanks
Ahhh. never mind. Found it under get started. I find that a tiny bit confusing obviously. I was looking under Downloads section. Maybe a crosslink?
yea, from a web page layout point of view, might be a good idea to make the download CQC area easy to find...

but from a forum point of view, the link is in post #2 of this thread...
Dean I had a duplicate user name, one was all upper, one was all lower. I was able to delete 1 of the 2 accounts but now the admin interface won't let me deal with the other account, how do I clean this up? Admin interface throws an error whenever I try to enter the Users tree...

Thanks,
-Ben

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Old pre-3.4 beta releases thread. Dean Roddey 31 7,707 11-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Dean Roddey