Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IVB Technology Diagram
IVB Wrote:If I were to get Sonos Connect:Amp, I could do it with just the Sonos app in a single step. I need to learn how to do grouping for multiple zones, as much of my use is in same-song-multiple-locations.

The problem is cost. A monoprice 6 zone 25wpc amp is $500-$700, whereas the 55wpc Connect:Amp is $500/zone. I like the Sonos but I don't know if I like it at six times the cost.
give into the dark side... I have 8 or 10 sonos zones, kind of lost track exactly... but anyway it is very nice... it just works... playing in one room or the same thing time aligned in many rooms, it all just works...
and on the bright side, I have had it so long the sting of $$$ has long since faded away...
and it still all works, which is nice... buy once, use forever type deal...
saves money in the long run? good rationalization at least...

automatedux Wrote:so I wouldnt worry about your buddies criticisms.
but harassing/criticizing IVB is so much fun...:tounge
I highly recommend everyone give it a shot...
NOTE: As one wise professional something once stated, I am ignorant & childish, with a mindset comparable to 9/11 troofers and wackjob conspiracy theorists. so don't take anything I say as advice...
automatedux Wrote:Some of the harmony remotes have buttons specific to lighting or switches and they are designed for controlling hue or wemo. I want to use CQC to make them control Radio RA2.

From Dean's response it sounds like I can.

We wouldn't be aware of those buttons being pressed unless they set an activity. That's all that's available to us. Definitely go yell at them about expose more stuff to third parties. If enough folks make it clear they want that kind of thing, maybe they'll do it.
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
In the nicest fashion, I hope Smarthings dies a miserable death. I get *MAYBE* 70% accuracy via Alexa in lights actually turning on/off, and the latency is putrid.

CQC has a Hue Emulator driver so I could set that up for my lights/thermo/etc and throw away the SmartThings, but there's just soooo much stuff ahead of that.
------------------------------------
Devices I'm phasing out: ISY, NuVo
My vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/c/IVBsHomeAutomation
IVB,

Thank you for this blog post. I noticed that you have the Nuvo Grand Concerto integrated with CQC. I'm looking to use CQC or some other engine to integrate my Nuvo Grand Concerto and an Alexa device. Do you have any recommendations for how do this (preferably as step by step as possible as I'm brand new to CQC)? All of my other home automation runs through Smartthings.

Thanks.
What exactly do you want to do with the "integration"?

CQC has a native NuVo driver, so the status of the device, zones, volume, source, are all available. You can read and write to those fields (ie turn a zone on, off, volume up/down, change source).

For integration with Alexa, I set mine up LONG ago so i'll see if I can remember it. Anyone else please jump in too. I ditched the NuVo and went full Sonos, and have 5 of them, so we use the direct Alexa-Sonos integration now.

Two types of Alexa integration:
A) Emulating a Philips Hue.
This allows you to do things like "Alexa, turn on <zone>"

B) Full integration. This is what mine used to be. (Jarvis is what I named my CQC-Alexa connection. Nobody could remember anything else, but we're a Marvel household, this people remembered)

Alexa, ask Jarvis to play <playlist> in the (bedroom|bathroom|dining room|kitchen).
Alexa, ask Jarvis to stop playing music in the (room).
Alexa, ask Jarvis to start playing music in the (room).
Alexa, ask Jarvis to turn (bedroom|bathroom|dining room|kitchen) speakers on.

The latter requires changing stuff within Amazon, so before I hunt down how I changed it I want to see what exactly you want to start with.
(06-27-2018, 09:47 AM)Sorry for the delay in my response. What I mean by integration is full integration, option b as described below. Thanks. IVB Wrote: What exactly do you want to do with the "integration"?

CQC has a native NuVo driver, so the status of the device, zones, volume, source, are all available. You can read and write to those fields (ie turn a zone on, off, volume up/down, change source).

For integration with Alexa, I set mine up LONG ago so i'll see if I can remember it. Anyone else please jump in too. I ditched the NuVo and went full Sonos, and have 5 of them, so we use the direct Alexa-Sonos integration now.

Two types of Alexa integration:
A) Emulating a Philips Hue.
This allows you to do things like "Alexa, turn on <zone>"

B) Full integration. This is what mine used to be. (Jarvis is what I named my CQC-Alexa connection. Nobody could remember anything else, but we're a Marvel household, this people remembered)

Alexa, ask Jarvis to play <playlist> in the (bedroom|bathroom|dining room|kitchen).
Alexa, ask Jarvis to stop playing music in the (room).
Alexa, ask Jarvis to start playing music in the (room).
Alexa, ask Jarvis to turn (bedroom|bathroom|dining room|kitchen) speakers on.

The latter requires changing stuff within Amazon, so before I hunt down how I changed it I want to see what exactly you want to start with.
long weekend ahead of me, no time to do a step-by-step. Basically you need to
1) First follow Dean's Amazon Echo setup instructions (he's got a bunch of docs on how to do that), git it working using the "vanilla" stuff, *then*
2) go into the Amazon website and add custom sentence structures.

I'm stretching into the memory banks but I think I added another dozen sentence structures to the Amazon skill. I use the word structure because it's stuff like I posted above (the Alexa, ask ...). If I recall, you don't put in the "Alexa, ask Jarvis to..." as you use a QueryIntent, and it knows Jarvis is the command word. You can also use "Tell Jarvis".

All that will make more sense once you read through Dean's Amazon Echo setup docs (under Documentation on the bottom of the main site) and set it up.
http://www.charmedquark.com/Web2/CQCDocs...=/Overview
Dean Roddey
Software Geek Extraordinaire
Thanks Dean
For what it's worth - I have 2 B&K amps that provides 12 zones.  I think it is similar to the Nuvo, but with some differences - the biggest one being that B&K sold out and you can't get one other than used systems.  May be worth your while, but your dependent on the seller knowing if it even works.  I had to change both of mine out about a year ago (they were 10+ years old), and went with the same system to avoid reprogramming most of CQC.  I bought 2 (through ebay) that I had to send back because they didn't work.  I eventually got 2 systems for $200 that work great, so I feel lucky.

Anyway - I have a Sonos Connect tied into the B&K, and Amazon's Echo integration with Sonos allows me to do voice control for stations, playlists, etc.  I use the CQC Echo integration to turn on the various zones.  Unlike IVB, I left it the CQC voice command list that is provided here as is, but I can say "Alexa, Tell Control to turn on Family" and it will turn it on, along with up and down volume control, which is about all I need.  If a track is playing, I just say "Alexa, next" and it will move to the next song, as well as switching stations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  IVB Architectural diagram IVB 18 4,239 11-07-2016, 07:18 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost
  check my wiring diagram IVB 47 11,123 03-17-2015, 07:25 AM
Last Post: SomeWhatLost