Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: Third Party Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Android Related Products (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Android RIVA Client: taRiva (/showthread.php?tid=6721)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 05-27-2011

batwater Wrote:Really not liking loosing 30 pixels! :-(

AFAIK only Honeycomb based tablets have eliminated the hardware keys.
Even some of the older tablets did drop the hardware buttons. As I was looking into it, I did find out that it was bad form to hide those bar in the first place.

I will probably enable it by default, but try to provide a checkbox in the settings to disable it. I also need to adjust the active area, as currently it simply shifts everything down and you lose access to part of the template. I'm not even sure if the touches are still fine or didn't get shifted at the same time... Wink

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - wuench - 05-27-2011

Also note that button savior doesn't remap the soft buttons, at least not on my gtablet. So if you give access to the header people won't be able to disable/remap those buttons, that would give users easy access to break out of the RIVA app using home etc....

I am using RDP right now, fullscreen and I lock all my hard buttons with button saviour except menu. So it takes a couple of steps to break out, so a kid, (or one of my non-computer savvy friends) can't accidently break out of CQC. (I am still playing with a combination of RIVA, RDP, and Splashtop).

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 05-27-2011

wuench Wrote:The IOS RIVA client uses a "4 finger salute" to bring up the menu as there are no hard buttons to work with. (Not sure if android can use 4 finger gestures, seems like the only thing I ever see there is the long press).
I think that my current implementation with the touch events, prevents me from handling the more generic gestures, but it's been a while since I've looked at those details.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - batwater - 05-27-2011

Fonceur Wrote:Even some of the older tablets did drop the hardware buttons. As I was looking into it, I did find out that it was bad form to hide those bar in the first place.

I will probably enable it by default, but try to provide a checkbox in the settings to disable it. I also need to adjust the active area, as currently it simply shifts everything down and you lose access to part of the template. I'm not even sure if the touches are still fine or didn't get shifted at the same time... Wink

From a quick test I just did, touches also get shifted.

BTW on the Xoom which is running a tegra 2, TaRiva UI is "instant" in its responsiveness. :-D

-Ben

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - AnthonyZ - 05-30-2011

batwater Wrote:From a quick test I just did, touches also get shifted.

BTW on the Xoom which is running a tegra 2, TaRiva UI is "instant" in its responsiveness. :-D

-Ben
Looks like I may need to upgrade then. Do you have two button states for feedback? I'm starting to wonder if my RIVA interfaces are so painfully slow because I basically built them like a regular template on a Windows machine.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Dean Roddey - 05-30-2011

AnthonyZ Wrote:Looks like I may need to upgrade then. Do you have two button states for feedback? I'm starting to wonder if my RIVA interfaces are so painfully slow because I basically built them like a regular template on a Windows machine.

You definitely would want to adjust for the fact that you aren't running on a very fast, pretty low latency LAN. Things to consider:

1. Don't use a complex background image unless you really need to. If you do, make sure it is exactly the right size so that it's not necessary to scale it for redrawing. A colored background is even better.

2. Make sure that widgets don't overlap unless you can't avoid it. If they do, when one redraws, that causes the others that it overlaps to redraw, and they do the same to the ones they overlap.

3. Optimize your cover art. Too many metadata programs just will let you download a 500K cover art image and not scale it. CQC's repositories will rescale images, but others may not if you are using other repositories. Even if CQC does rescale them, you can often reduce the transmission size by lowering the quality a bit more.

4. Limit the number of constantly updating widgets, like marquees or timers and such. These require a fairly constant flow of updates to the RIVA client. Basically do things to limit redrawing where it's not required in general and that will always be a benefit in a wireless environment.

If you have a constantly updating widget that overlaps in the way mentioned above in #2, it is also causing constant redrawing of the widgets it overlaps, which makes it double plus bad. If you use a background image that is not scaled to fit the area, so that each redraw causes the background image to rescale, it's kind of triple plus bad.

5. Try to reuse images as much as possible, i.e. have all buttons be the same images, all sliders be the same images, etc... They only have to be downloaded and cached once no matter how many times they are used, and they take up only one image cache slot no matter how many times they are used.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - AnthonyZ - 05-30-2011

What about buttons? Two states (idle,active) or just a single? I do have some overlapping images in the HVAC section and they look like a$$ in RIVA. I think I just need to "dumb it down" a bit.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Dean Roddey - 05-30-2011

AnthonyZ Wrote:What about buttons? Two states (idle,active) or just a single?

Oh, no, that's a single widget. I was talking more about widgets overlapping each other when they don't need to, and causing unneeded redrawing.

For instance some folks will import an image that has blank space around it and size the widget to fit that image. You can't see that blank space since it's transparent, but if it touches other widgets, they will have to redraw if that widget redraws. You should crop off that unneeded transparent area of the image or at least size the widget down so that it crops off the unneeded parts of the image (only the size of the widget matters for overlap, even if some image inside it is larger than the image.)

It's not like it's a huge thing. But, if you had something like a remote control or keypad type interface, and you were a bit sloppy with the widget sizing so that effectively every button on the keypad touched the buttons around it, pressing one button could cause 5 of them to redraw (the one pressed and the four around it that it overlapped.)

Or, some worst case scenario like an image widget showing a large cover art image, and below it is a current elapsed time that's constantly updating and the two are overlapping. Every time that elapsed time widget updates it causes the big image to update. The whole image doesn't get drawn to the screen ultimately, since the output is clipped to the area of the elapsed time widget. But in the background it still has to be redrawn every time in order to get the overlapping part of the image in place under the elapsed time widget so that it can be redrawn.

So you just want to be careful of that. Sometimes it can't be helped. If you were doing a 'transport wheel' type thing which included a flower shaped set of petal-like buttons around a center. The widgets under those petal shaped buttons are still square and they will inevitably overlap. There's not much you can do. But avoide it where you can and it'll make for optimal redrawing speed.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 06-07-2011

Version 1.01

- Reverted to Android OS 2.2 for now.
- Enforced the minimum Android OS 1.6.
- No longer kill the communication because the main activity was killed.
- Added icons to the option menu.
- Hide the password and registration key.
- No longer hide the title bar.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - batwater - 06-09-2011

Fonceur Wrote:Version 1.01

- No longer hide the title bar.

Hi Fonceur,

When will a toggle for the title bar be added, really don't want to loose the real estate or redo my template sizes?

Thanks,

-Ben