Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: Third Party Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Android Related Products (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Android RIVA Client: taRiva (/showthread.php?tid=6721)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Dean Roddey - 03-04-2011

I imagine in both cases, a big part of the puzzle is going to be your wireless network. You likely need to use high quality WAPs that provide optimum signal quality, instead of the inexpensive stuff that most of us probably use. Something a little closer to the pro end of things maybe.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Tedp - 03-04-2011

Recomendations?

With all I've invested I am more than happy to invest in a decent WAP.

Ted

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - brianmount - 03-04-2011

My experience (with the iPhone version only, admittedly) is that most of the slowness is due to images which are larger than they need to be. Sam Vimes' template routinely sends out 100K or even 400K images that occupy a 20-by-20 pixel square on the screen. That's 400 pixels, or 2K even with no compression. If we were able to get 2K of data instead of 100K, and pipeline the image fetching instead of waiting for one image fetch to complete before requesting the next, we would see a factor of 50 speedup, and everything would be fine, even with old networking hardware. To see if this is the case, I suggest running a test. Make two templates, one with the full-size cover art images, and one with the images scaled down in your favorite paint program so they're only as big as they need to be. Clear the client's cache, and load the two pages to see how long it takes. I suspect that you will see a marked improvement, even without changes to pipeline the image fetches.

With these small devices and slow network speeds, you can't cavalierly pump out full-size cover art to the client, and it seems like many of the CQC components (e.g. the Squeezebox interface) are doing that at the moment.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 03-04-2011

Tedp Wrote:hmm is there any way to make this more automatic? I would like to deploy these around the house more and its hard to explain to a 6 year old (or heck even a 40 year old wife) please press the delete cache key after I add more movies Big Grin
You can add more movies just fine, as they'll have a new ID... Think of it as having the ISBN number for a book (or whatever is used in a library), but going to the library only to find out that the new head librarian decided to do away with those useless ISBM number and use a different method to reference books, like say the color of the book's cover... Wink

Look for the Android app aLogCat, it seems to be able to save the log at regular interval and such, so I would assume that would do better...

brianmount Wrote:My experience (with the iPhone version only, admittedly) is that most of the slowness is due to images which are larger than they need to be. Sam Vimes' template routinely sends out 100K or even 400K images that occupy a 20-by-20 pixel square on the screen.
Definitely, using the media browser in small image mode is a must, as well as trying to pre-scale the images used for the template, instead of transferring the full size image only to have it rescale by the RIVA client.

I use mymovies to make the information relatively automatic how can I set it up to be the smallest possible image? How would you set this up for a client? This must be possible or do people really not sell this? it seems to be one of the big selling points to a system like this.

ted

Tedp Wrote:I use mymovies to make the information relatively automatic how can I set it up to be the smallest possible image?
As part of the Template, when you use a media browser, you can check a box for "use small images" or such. If you want to display detailed information about a selection, with a bigger image and all, there is also an option for that. In my signature, I have a link to a set of "Mobile templates 0.4", where I did just that. Basically, CQC will resize those images (in multiple of 8 or 16 I think) before sending them. If you don't check that box, then CQC sends the whole image and the RIVA client is responsible for resizing it.

Is that button only in your templates if so how did you acomplish it so I could get Anthony to incorporate it to my templates?

Ted

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - brianmount - 03-04-2011

But the "use small images" option won't necessarily make it as small as possible. What I'm suggesting for the comparison test is that you actually try making images that are only as large as they need to be. Make static images and insert them into a copy of your template, replacing the real cover art. They don't even have to be the real covers, just 20-by-20 squares (or whatever you are using) of blue and green. As long as each image is different, so the RIVA client will have to load each one separately. The point is to get a sense of how much time you would save from having the images be as small as possible, not to make a working interface.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - batwater - 03-04-2011

Tedp Wrote:Recomendations?

With all I've invested I am more than happy to invest in a decent WAP.

Ted

Check out the WNDR 3700 from Netgear, it's A/B/G/N, 2 radios, 2.4 and 5ghz, has a guest SSID and all ports are gigabit. I had to upgrade to this bad boy to handle my 60mb internet connection. On the older Linksys I had the anemic processor was choking the throughput when processing the firewall rules. I believe they just released a newer version of the 3700.

Note, this is not a prosumer WAP, it's high end consumer.

-Ben