Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: Third Party Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Android Related Products (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Android RIVA Client: taRiva (/showthread.php?tid=6721)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - wuench - 02-26-2011

So it sounds like you are saying it currently can't do that?

The Iphone RIVA app will automatically connect (there are a few hiccups that might keep it from reconnecting after a wake up though.) But a locked Iphone can't launch apps on startup, a jailbroken one may be able to.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - batwater - 02-26-2011

wuench Wrote:So it sounds like you are saying it currently can't do that?

The Iphone RIVA app will automatically connect (there are a few hiccups that might keep it from reconnecting after a wake up though.) But a locked Iphone can't launch apps on startup, a jailbroken one may be able to.

Um, not sure we're on the same page, thinking we are but to make sure... Once launched taRiva will auto connect what is not automatic is the app starting at device boot. What I posted (I believe, I'm not an android developer, just a heavy user) is what is required in order for an application to start at device boot. This does not require your android device to be rooted to accomplish, but I believe just an application change.

I'm interested in what you are asking as well. I'm taking a wait and see on the Xoom, once the WiFi version comes out I'll probably pull the trigger on getting one.

-Ben

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 02-26-2011

On Android, there are applications like Tasker that can launch other apps under certain condition, so it can probably do that...

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - kayemsi - 03-02-2011

You would certainly want that (auto start on boot) as a user selectable option, not default. If this is your phone, that you only use taRiva occasionally to check status or turn something on/off remotely, you wouldn't want it to start everytime you turn your phone on and then have to turn it off to use the phone.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Tedp - 03-04-2011

I am still having some real problems with how this is working, it wont wake up from sleep properly and I think there may be a caching issue. I (due to my own stupidity) lost a hard drive full of movies and deleted them. For some reason this caused the media browser on the RIVA client on my S7 to move very slowly (like 15 seconds to do anything) and it shows the wrong pictures for a lot of movies. When I went to the same RIVA client on my server the proper pictures were there. I had to delete the cache to get the cover art to apprear properly and this speed it up greatly except for the normal 2 seconds to download images.

I also beleive some of my other issues may be cache related. It tends to get slower over time to the point where I need to close (completly) and reopen the app. I have forced it to stay on for a few hours and after awhile it gets to the point where it is unresponsive after a period of time at which point I need to close and reload the app.

I would love to give you a much longer log but I cant seem to get that log collector to go more than 5 seconds, does anyone know how?

I really want to make this work and work well. I want to deploy a number of these in my house but I have to treat my wife and kids like someone would a client and I can't deploy a device like this where it doesnt work well.

Ted

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 03-04-2011

Tedp Wrote:I am still having some real problems with how this is working, it wont wake up from sleep properly
I would really need to see a log which catches the particular events happening at that time...

Quote:I (due to my own stupidity) lost a hard drive full of movies and deleted them. For some reason this caused the media browser on the RIVA client on my S7 to move very slowly
You probably want to make sure to rebuild the repository on the CQC side, as there might be some wasted time trying to locate things that no longer exist...

Quote:it shows the wrong pictures for a lot of movies.
Of course, if I saved the Jaws image for the id 1,3,15 and the rebuilt version points to Avatar for that id, that would be a problem... Which is one of the reason for having a delete cache button... Wink

Quote:When I went to the same RIVA client on my server the proper pictures were there.
If it's caching, it might be using the title instead of the id as key...

Quote:I also beleive some of my other issues may be cache related. It tends to get slower over time to the point where I need to close (completly) and reopen the app.
Is that for some image intensive use? If so, that would sound like a caching issue, if not, that might be something else, like a memory leak.

Fonceur Wrote:I would really need to see a log which catches the particular events happening at that time...

I understand completly, is there anyone out there who can please help me log this, I can not figure out how to get the logging program to give more than about 5 seconds.

ted

Quote:You probably want to make sure to rebuild the repository on the CQC side, as there might be some wasted time trying to locate things that no longer exist...

I did I believe, it seems to be working fine after I deleted the Cache.

Quote:Of course, if I saved the Jaws image for the id 1,3,15 and the rebuilt version points to Avatar for that id, that would be a problem... Which is one of the reason for having a delete cache button... Wink

hmm is there any way to make this more automatic? I would like to deploy these around the house more and its hard to explain to a 6 year old (or heck even a 40 year old wife) please press the delete cache key after I add more movies Big Grin

Quote:Is that for some image intensive use? If so, that would sound like a caching issue, if not, that might be something else, like a memory leak.

Yes on purpose, Im trying to simulate it in more of the real home enviroment and how it can be used (and abused) by a six year old.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Bauer83 - 03-04-2011

Has anyone compared the Android version to the iPad version of the two Riva clients? How solid is the Android version in handling graphically intense screens?

I have the iPad app and find it to be a little sluggish, and am wondering if the speed is improved with an Android tablet. I believe some improvements are coming to speed up the feel of the iPad app, so I will be interested in tested that as a comparison.

Obviously the cost of an Android tablet is very appealing, and if it ran like the native IV does it would be from my opinion, the go-to touch interface.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - guysmiley - 03-04-2011

Maybe its because I am running the exact same templates on a smaller screen, but my ipads when running the riva client would take quite a bit of time loading templates and images of my dvd's/cd's. Backgrounds are all black. This is on wireless N. I went with splashtop for the ipads and its now blazing fast. But, my DroidX over 3g is fast. Much faster then ipad running riva. Same templates (just have to scroll left and right). I think it might have something to do with the fact that its a much smaller screen. I have been looking at the new droid tablets. I would like to get my hands on one and compare the two over 3g. My droid over wireless N is still much faster then the latest generation iPod touch on the same wireless. Again same templates being used. HTH

Phil