Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: Third Party Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Android Related Products (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Android RIVA Client: taRiva (/showthread.php?tid=6721)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - znelbok - 11-07-2010

yep, never misses a beat.

I do it again tonight and wait 10 mins before I dump the logs. Shame the log collector doesn't get the immediate log entries or that Android does not dump them straight away.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - sic0048 - 11-07-2010

znelbok Wrote:taRiva has stopped working on the Galaxy S now (about two months ago actually). No reason as to why that I can see, just stopped. When I start it it sits there and then times out with the force close message.

I uninstalled it and installed the latest again, but it still does the same thing.

The logfile is attached, but I cant see any reference to tariva at all so I think I will have to try again tonight.

Mick

Make sure you are on the latest CQC version. There was a change a while back in the RIVA client that Fonceur slipped into his versions at some point. Unless you upgrade to the latest CQC version, it won't work.

So I would suggest trying that first because it sounds exactly like the scenario I had - and upgrading made the Android RIVA start working again.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 11-07-2010

sic0048 Wrote:Make sure you are on the latest CQC version. There was a change a while back in the RIVA client that Fonceur slipped into his versions at some point. Unless you upgrade to the latest CQC version, it won't work.
Actually, I did add support for the protocol 1.0 and it was working for him. So I don't know why it stopped.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - znelbok - 11-07-2010

I ran taRiva on a 7" tablet the other day and it worked fine - both V1 & V2.

I have upgraded - while I may not be on the very latest, it was a beta from not that long ago.

I dont even get the CQC logo at startup either and I cant get to any settings etc.

Mick

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - SamVimes2 - 11-08-2010

Fonceur Wrote:No they don't, and shouldn't... I don't know what is the motivation on the iPod version, but here a swipe acts as you would expect a swipe to act... If your template is bigger than the physical dimension of your screen, you just swipe around to access the rest of the template... Like my 320x480 mobile templates, which has some 64 pixels navigation bars on the right and bottom. If the resolution already matches, then there is no point in swiping.

To clarify some terminology:
1) "scroll" - using your finger to drag around a screen that's larger than the resolution of the device. this is what taRIVA does and what iRIVA does if you want it to.
2) "swipe" - one of several gestures you can use to communicate to the RIVA server on devices that support it, for example to 'next page' on a list or toolbar. iRIVA supports this (with the options set appropriately).

The motivation is supporting what the users wanted. Just cuz you can't make it work doesn't mean you have to hate ;-)

If you are able to support it, your users will be able to share template functionality across their devices. I would think this is what you want to achieve as a developer.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 11-08-2010

znelbok Wrote:I dont even get the CQC logo at startup either and I cant get to any settings etc.
OK, so something is definitely messed up with that installation, you might want to delete and reinstall if you can't get a log pointed out what is failing.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 11-08-2010

SamVimes2 Wrote:1) "scroll" - using your finger to drag around a screen that's larger than the resolution of the device. this is what taRIVA does and what iRIVA does if you want it to.
Well, English isn't my native tongue, so I also considered that to be a swipe...

Quote:2) "swipe" - one of several gestures you can use to communicate to the RIVA server on devices that support it, for example to 'next page' on a list or toolbar.
I see. But then I guess that would disable the dragging (press/move/release) of any progress bar/control knob (which is probably not important as you could just tap the end position instead). You probably also can't have multiple "swipe" on the same template, as they would all get intercepted by the same control (list/toolbar). That would be why the user has to make a choice as to which functionality he wants.

Quote:Just cuz you can't make it work doesn't mean you have to hate ;-)
It's not about hating or not being able to make it work, it's about someone asking why something not part of the RIVA protocol and only implemented in one RIVA client isn't working on the other clients.

Quote:If you are able to support it, your users will be able to share template functionality across their devices.
Well, those templates with the "swipe" wouldn't work on the regular IV or the .net RIVA client, so it's not like I'm the one breaking compatibility... Wink

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Ron Haley - 11-09-2010

Fonceur Wrote:Well, English isn't my native tongue, so I also considered that to be a swipe...

I see. But then I guess that would disable the dragging (press/move/release) of any progress bar/control knob (which is probably not important as you could just tap the end position instead). You probably also can't have multiple "swipe" on the same template, as they would all get intercepted by the same control (list/toolbar). That would be why the user has to make a choice as to which functionality he wants.

It's not about hating or not being able to make it work, it's about someone asking why something not part of the RIVA protocol and only implemented in one RIVA client isn't working on the other clients.

Well, those templates with the "swipe" wouldn't work on the regular IV or the .net RIVA client, so it's not like I'm the one breaking compatibility... Wink
Perhaps I'm missing something. With the Ipod version, I can map a jesture to a hot key, and then apply previous, next, top, etc. The jesture mapping replaces arrow icons I have on non touchpad displays.
What do I do with the android version? If I plan on displaying 200 movies, do I have to build a new template to include that many, and then move it around like a map?

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - SamVimes2 - 11-09-2010

Fonceur Wrote:It's not about hating or not being able to make it work, it's about someone asking why something not part of the RIVA protocol and only implemented in one RIVA client isn't working on the other clients.

Ha, I think the hating thing sounded funnier in my head than it did on the forum. No offense meant, and I can certainly sympathize with users' requests for features "the other one has." :-)

The hotkeys were added to the RIVA protocol to work with hard-buttons on dedicated devices (like the Vidabox remote that I bought and is collecting dust...). I think there is a unique opportunity to introduce some cross-platform compatibility here, but only if you thinks it worthwhile...

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 11-09-2010

Ron Haley Wrote:The jesture mapping replaces arrow icons I have on non touchpad displays.
What do I do with the android version?
You would simply keep and use those arrow icons... Sure, it's not as sexy as dynamic scrolling (is that the right term?) a list, but it works for the regular IV and .net RIVA client too... Wink

Technically, I'm not using the Android gestures, but only the move or touch down/up events, and deciding if it's a "scroll" or button tap (with possible dragging for sliders). I can look into using gestures instead, and allowing remapping, but I'm pretty sure that lead to some issues with the "scrolling", which is why I didn't go that route originally.