Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: Third Party Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Android Related Products (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Android RIVA Client: taRiva (/showthread.php?tid=6721)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 09-24-2010

batwater Wrote:Hmm, not understanding. I'm pulling the cover art via the MyMovies REPO I have defined, I'm not selecting the size, is that a function of how large I have made it on the template?
Right, I've checked the Media Repo Image widget and there's no small/large image option, so it seems that it does send the full 760x1050 image even if you only need to display it as 128x128.

Quote:Trying to compensate for images not displaying due to an I/O timeout and the client moving on
Not seeing what you are trying to get too...

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - batwater - 09-24-2010

batwater Wrote:Trying to compensate for images not displaying due to an I/O timeout
Fonceur Wrote:Not seeing what you are trying to get too...
Basically a double try at loading the image. My thinking is it would be like going out and back in again or paging forward and then back on the main template when images don't display the 1st time.

-Ben

Fonceur Wrote:Right, I've checked the Media Repo Image widget and there's no small/large image option, so it seems that it does send the full 760x1050 image even if you only need to display it as 128x128.

Dean, could a scaling option (something that could be flagged on or off) be added to the Media Repo Image widget or the RIVA server to address this?

-Ben

[Edit: Oops I accidentally edited your post instead of responded... Moving it to a response.]

batwater Wrote:Basically a double try at loading the image.
Well, short of actually going back and forth, you can't really pre-load the image without displaying it...

Currently, the best option for your popup might be to replace that unscaled media repo image by a full media art browser with the small images option, shrunk to only show a single image (not sure if it's allowed) without any of the navigations/actions. The selection from the "main media art browser" would fill a global variable that would be used in the pre-load of the popup to select the same movie. This way, you would be reusing the 128x128 image already cached.

batwater Wrote:Dean, could a scaling option (something that could be flagged on or off) be added to the Media Repo Image widget or the RIVA server to address this?
I suspect there wasn't much need for that before the mobile platforms became a serious option.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - wuench - 09-24-2010

Fonceur Wrote:I suspect there wasn't much need for that before the mobile platforms became a serious option.

The time to prescale on the server should be much much shorter than the time it takes to transfer images across wifi or 3g. (Probably precompress too, if possible).

It is interesting how I can open the Windows RIVA client and the Windows RIVA Client over RDP on the same WiFi connection and see how much faster RDP is. I assume RDP is doing compression and they don't have access to the original images like RIVA does.

Dean Roddey Wrote:As a rule, you'd want to try to keep image repository images, but not keep URL based or cover art images around, since the latter are transient and there could be lots of them.
Right, in .79 I am now purging the URL one when closing the TCP connection.

Quote:What the regular RIVA client does is have a cache of around 256 images or, which is uses on a least recently used basis
Technically, if the application cache is used, it can be cleared by the OS if it needs the room. Or if the SD card is used, people could go in and clean up themselves. Managing the cache better is kinda low on my priority list... Wink

Fonceur Wrote:Well, short of actually going back and forth, you can't really pre-load the image without displaying it...

What I meant by preload, should have stated fetch. If image is not on phone yet it is fetched, if that takes too long it does not get displayed even though it is local on the phone at that point. Next "fetch" client sees that it is local and displays okay. My thinking was that the preload fetch would ensure that the image is there, onload display, same as going out and back in. Just trying to find a way to have the image show up without messing up the responsiveness of taRIVA in a global fashion.

-Ben

While I could re-queue the display of the missing image, the issue is that it could be a background image, and you wouldn't want it to hide everything else due to the re-queuing... Or maybe it's not the background, but there is some text or other widget partially covering it up.

Another alternative would be to reprocess the whole start/end draw block, but then it might be followed by more blocks, which gets messy pretty fast...

Fonceur Wrote:While I could re-queue the display of the missing image, the issue is that it could be a background image, and you wouldn't want it to hide everything else due to the re-queuing... Or maybe it's not the background, but there is some text or other widget partially covering it up.

Another alternative would be to reprocess the whole start/end draw block, but then it might be followed by more blocks, which gets messy pretty fast...

Right, that is what I am trying to avoid. I'll play with it this evening and see what happens. It is a minor glitch in the grand scheme.

Thanks!
-Ben