Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: Third Party Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Android Related Products (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Android RIVA Client: taRiva (/showthread.php?tid=6721)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Dean Roddey - 09-19-2010

No actual text is tranmitted across the network, just the points at which you pressed. If someone was EXTREMELY clever, they could look at the relative x/y coordinates of the presses and figure that the buttons were in some sort of grid and MAYBE figure out what the numbers were. But it would be pretty unlikely. They'd have to know that at that point you were entering the code.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - znelbok - 09-19-2010

With a directed attack (I assume) this is easy if it is x-y co-ordinates.

There are some assumptions like:

You have keypad in a standard configuration

The password is the forst thing you enter.

You can overcome this by arranging your numbers in a non standard fashion.

So its not a secure system in that it is pseudo random noise beng sent, but rather security by obscurity.

I may just get wireshark onto it one day for a look see, not that I am an expert at this stuff, but it will be interesting none the less.

Mick

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 09-19-2010

Well, if they really wanted to get fancy, they could develop their own RIVA client, intercept both sides of the conversation and see exactly what you are doing... Wink

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Dean Roddey - 09-19-2010

The protocol could certainly support an encrypted session easily enough if that was deemed necessary. The XML Gateway supports that, though there the actual information is being passed back and forth, so it's far more important.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 09-19-2010

Version 0.73

- A little bit of internal cleaning up.
- Brought the requirement back down to Android OS 1.6.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - sic0048 - 09-20-2010

Moved to .73.

On a side note, does the TARiva know when the phone has been rotated, i.e. from portrait to landscape or vice versa? I know on the iPhone RIVA they have the ability to load another set of templates to match the screen orientation. Currently, when I rotate the screen, I loose 1/2 the image because it no longer matches the screen resolution. Not only that, but if I then try to swipe on the screen, then I get the weird screen resizing issue still.

Also, how long is it before the client "sleeps" and looses connection? I thought it was when the screen went to sleep, but I just tested that and I can turn the screen off (or let it turn off itself), turn the screen back on, and still be able to control the tariva (actions are done when I press buttons).

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 09-20-2010

sic0048 Wrote:On a side note, does the TARiva know when the phone has been rotated, i.e. from portrait to landscape or vice versa?
Yes, if you check the Information page, you will see the change.

Quote:Currently, when I rotate the screen, I loose 1/2 the image because it no longer matches the screen resolution. Not only that, but if I then try to swipe on the screen, then I get the weird screen resizing issue still.
Normally the swipe would be the way to access the reminder of the template. I will need a log to try and figure out why it's resizing instead.

Quote:Also, how long is it before the client "sleeps" and looses connection?
That's not clear, when the device goes to sleep, the OS is free to kill processes and restart them after. The issue is that the TCP listening thread never gets restarted properly. So it's not clear why some times it would work and some others not.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Dean Roddey - 09-20-2010

I would think that you could sense when you were about to be killed and shut downt he connection formally, then reconnect when you come back. That would seem to be the best thing to do. Otherwise, the server will time out on the connection, so you eat up a sessin on the server until it times out and you will still have to reconnect anyway since you'll have lost the session on the server while asleep.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 09-20-2010

Actually, in taSageTV I did start looking into the sleep/wake issue, but never really analyzed the results... Wink

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - sic0048 - 09-20-2010

I'm starting to get "freezing" on the tariva now. Basically the system won't respond to button presses. I've attached a CQC log and emailed a phone log.