Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: Third Party Development (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Forum: Android Related Products (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Android RIVA Client: taRiva (/showthread.php?tid=6721)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - znelbok - 08-17-2010

Fonceur Wrote:And you could not swipe to reach the extra area?

No

Fonceur Wrote:Did you update the width and height on the configuration, since you are using the RIVA 1.0 protocol which doesn't provide those info... I guess the iPhone app might be rescaling on the initial FillArea with black or such... Also I haven't implemented all the commands yet, so it's very possible that the template made use of something undefined yet, which crashed the app... Wink

No, Just had it at the standard width. This is all based on 5 mins of testing so I will play some more tonight.

Fonceur Wrote:There is no buttons defined as such, which means every press, anywhere on the screen would do that, making it pointless...

? - I am not sure what you mean, but what I was asking for was the ability to add a command to an action that makes a click sound etc. so taht when the user presses a "button" aka check box, ccommand widget etc, a sound is made.

Fonceur Wrote:Well, I don't have the iPhone app, so not sure what it all does, though I guess that now that the basic is working, I could snoop a bit... Wink
A lot of feedback has been given for the iPhone app so it makes a great place to start for this app (and there is no need to re-invent the wheel).
Once this app has caught up, it would be great if they could prgress together with the same features.
I do understand that there may be some things specific to each OS (guestures etc)

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - Fonceur - 08-18-2010

znelbok Wrote:? - I am not sure what you mean, but what I was asking for was the ability to add a command to an action that makes a click sound etc. so taht when the user presses a "button" aka check box, ccommand widget etc, a sound is made.
Right, and what I'm saying is that a round thing on the screenshot of the UI could be a button or the nose of a clown, there is no way to know it... Wink The RIVA protocol does not position buttons on screen, it just draws a set of shapes and images, when you press somewhere on the screen, it's the RIVA server that will decide whether there was something active like a button there.

Now there is some kind of "play wave" action that was added to the template side, which can send a play command over the RIVA protocol, and could be associated to do that, but...

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - SamVimes2 - 08-18-2010

The way the iphone app does this is by reacting to the PlayWav command with some built-in iphone sounds.

So if a button has the action System:TonguelayWav(Beep1) iRIVA plays one of the iPhone's beeps.

More broadly I am following this pretty closely and am happy to provide any help gleaned from developing the iPhone app.

SamVimes2 Wrote:The way the iphone app does this is by reacting to the PlayWav command with some built-in iphone sounds.
Right, that's how I figured it might work.

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - SamVimes2 - 08-18-2010

Hi Fonceur,

I installed this tonight on my wife's android phone (HTC Desire 800x480). I have a series of ipod (320x480) and iphone4 (640x960) templates to test with, but they are very image heavy so it's hard at the moment.

If i have text over an image background, should I be seeing that?

Some comments off the bat, based on my own heavy usage of iRIVA and what people have asked for throughout its development:
-some kind of network traffic indicator (on i* this is a light spinny circle in the upper left of the screen)
-some kind of mapping of gestures/orientation to hotkeys. Here is what we do on iRIVA; I think it would be great if we could keep it parallel.
-some kind of orientation locking options
-some kind of profiling system, with autoconnection features based on connection type

All in all keep up the great work! I will continue to play and post comments.

SamVimes2 Wrote:If i have text over an image background, should I be seeing that?
Yes, which part aren't you seeing? You might have to wait for the images to download and reconnect to actually see them. Only got the images to work in the last 48 hours, so there isn't much logic around them... Wink

Quote:-some kind of network traffic indicator (on i* this is a light spinny circle in the upper left of the screen)
Currently, the app itself hardly knows it's connection state... Wink I'd probably hide that on the information/configuration pages, as the screen real estate is at a premium... Otherwise, I'd probably just un-hide the status bar, reducing the available template space by as much, to use the notification area...

Quote:-some kind of mapping of gestures/orientation to hotkeys.
Not sure I see the point, or how you'd define hotkeys... A typical Android phone has like 5 hard button already used... Wink

Quote:-some kind of orientation locking options
Don't really see the point of that either...

Quote:-some kind of profiling system, with autoconnection features based on connection type
Not quite sure how that's supposed to be helpful...

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - znelbok - 08-18-2010

Fonceur Wrote:Don't really see the point of that either...

I tought the same as well at first, but these phone are to ready to swich from landscape to portrait (does it to me all the time when I am lying on the couch) and its a pain if you have only written your templates in one format. Locking it would allow the phone to be swung around without it rotating the screen. I started out building two templates, but gave up and now lock the screen to portrait and only use templates of one orientation.

Mick

znelbok Wrote:I tought the same as well at first, but these phone are to ready to swich from landscape to portrait
So you just rotate it back, if that wasn't on purpose...

Quote:and its a pain if you have only written your templates in one format.
Why would it matter? You are still displaying the same template, a rotation doesn't call up a new template...

Quote:Locking it would allow the phone to be swung around without it rotating the screen.
Seems silly to read your text at a 90 degrees angle...

Android RIVA Client: taRiva - znelbok - 08-18-2010

you sound like you have not experienced this yet. I find it happens a lot and it annoying and takes time (only a second but still).

It is silly to read at a 90 degree angle (relative to head), and hence the lock orientation is good for that, I can lie down and hold the phone horizontal (butin line with my body/head) and it does not rotate on me (so I am then reading text at 90 deg to the normal).

Ultimately your choice, but I am voting for locking the orientation as an option to be added.

znelbok Wrote:you sound like you have not experienced this yet.
I don't have a cell phone or a tablet, so no.. Wink

Quote:I can lie down and hold the phone horizontal (but in line with my body/head) and it does not rotate on me
Ah, that's what I was missing! From watching videos on my iPod touch, either in bed or on the couch, I can see the point of locking the orientation.