Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community
Preview of new Web based RIVA client - Printable Version

+- Charmed Quark Systems, Ltd. - Support Forums and Community (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: CQC Support (https://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Preview of new Web based RIVA client (/showthread.php?tid=10336)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

RE: Preview of new Web based RIVA client - Dean Roddey - 07-27-2017

Yeh, those are in there.

So, as best I can tell, the only hope that really exists (at this time) for supporting a web camera widget in a portable way is to require some WebRTC gateway server. One such is Kurento, there may be others. Basically you set it up to accept RTSP streams (or other types) from your cameras, and it in turn streams the data out using WebRTC. WebRTC is (it seems) the only streaming protocol that the HTML5 video element is going to understand on a range of platforms, because it's the only one actually defined as a standard for that.

Now Kurento only runs on some Linux variant, so that may make it a non-starter for almost everyone. If there's another that can do this an that runs on Windows, that would be great. Does Blue Iris provide this sort of transcoding to WebRTC? I poked around but couldn't figure out anything definitive.

Of course if cameras start showing up that support WebRTC that would also work.

The downside with something like this is that it's not just magical. Apparently you can't just point the HTML5 video element's source at some URL. It requires server specific javascript. So it's not really 'portable' either in the sense that it would likely be limited to a single such WebRTC gateway program.

If it just required pointing the video widget at the appropriate URL I could just do the work to make the video widget show up where it should, and go away when it should, and pass the configured URL to it. Then it would just be up to you to provide whatever mechanism you wanted to sit behind that URL and do the work. But, sadly that doesn't look to be possible.

And the Kurento client side stuff requires a bunch of other javascript libraries I don't want to include. The WebRIVA client is very clean and light weight now, with nothing but my own code. I'd like to keep it that way. It does provide a websockets based protocol that I could use that would allow for that if necessary.

But, the basic issue here is, it probably requires a WebRTC transcoder server, and we probably have to include code in the client specific to that server. Maybe we could support a couple, if there is another good candidate. But it's not something where you'll be able to just throw up any such server you happen to want to use, as best I can tell.

Another hit against Kurento is that I'm not going to spend the time to learn Linux and how to set all that stuff up. It's not practical. If we can't find a Windows based WebRTC converter, then it may be a non-starter. I saw that someone ported it to Windows but it's not supported. I'm also not going to build all this and sell it to customers, unless it's some well supported platform. If they go south, we will be left taking the blame.

That's another reason why it would be vastly better if I could just make the video element available and point it at something. Then we wouldn't be requiring anything. We'd just be making it possible for you to do what you want.

Of course maybe I'm misunderstanding it. Maybe the server specific script is just to set up the server how you want it, i.e. the transcoding sessions. If that's true, then you could run that script yourself and I WOULD only have to make the video element available and point it at what you want it to point to. It's hard to get a feel for how this works.

RE: Preview of new Web based RIVA client - potts.mike - 07-27-2017

That's a shame that you can't just have the equivalent of a web widget in an HTML app.

The web widget maybe isn't such an issue. As long as we can create another window that probably will work. It's the web camera widget that's the issue.

RE: Preview of new Web based RIVA client - kfly - 07-27-2017

Was doing some testing on iPad using Frameless app. It actually works and the issue with the Button presses on the lower part of the screen is fixed(very odd).  but are off on Safari and Chrome.(must have something to do with URL/status line.

looks like a good short term work around for my Ipads up all the time. Wish I could bring up the CQC URL automatically. Will keep testing.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id933580264

RE: Preview of new Web based RIVA client - lesbib - 07-27-2017

Regarding the issue on the iPad I found that if I modified the size of my template from 1024x768 to 1024x700 the button presses were aligned and worked on the bottom half of the screen.

I got started today on the infrastructure to create the needed video elements. One way or another, if we are going to have web camera support that is going to be part of it so I figured I'd get that part going first.

RE: Preview of new Web based RIVA client - kfly - 07-28-2017

Seems the only thing that is not working on my iPad is not showing album art in the MediaRepository. I use iTunesRepo V2. Anyone else see this? works on regular Riva but not webriva.